Frequent eye nipping..? Any experiences?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spring

Reaction score
So I finally think I've made a break through with bonding Pebbles and Georgie. They were always very disconnected until lastnight.. where there was a bit of mounting from Georgie.. but Georgie finally groomed Pebbles (for about 10 minutes straight!). I felt this was really the 'click' they needed.. so I'm feeling optimistic! They were together for about 3 hours last night with only one problem..

Pebbles consistent eye nipping! Any time she grooms his face, at the end, she bites him in the eye. Sometimes it's only enough for him to flinch back, but sometimes she bites hard enough that he scrambles out of her way (only to come straight back and put his head down for more grooming/nipping!)

Maybe I'm slightly paranoid after dealing withBruno's bad case of conjunctivitis from a bite wound to the eye.. but I can just see her possibly causing an injury to Georgie's eye. I don't think she's doing it to be mean.. just doesn't know it hurts him? If I talk to her while she's grooming, she won't nip.. but if she thinks I'm not there, she will go ahead and nip his eye after she'd done grooming.

It's beyond frustrating! And was wondering if anyone else has dealt with this eye obsession with bonding..

My Dopeys have an obsession with each others eyes, but not to this extent. We just have ridiculous over-grooming.

Could this be a 'I've groomed you but still remember I'm boss' thing?

It's hard when you've already had to deal with the extreme effects of something like this. It sounds though, like if he is coming right back, it's more making him jump, rather than actually hurting. If it hurt then he would probably would keep out of her way for a little while, at least. However, just because its not hurting now, doesn't mean she won't accidently catch him and hurt him. So it's a tough one as to what you do.

If she is grooming him, because you already know that, I wonder if there is a way to draw her attention away from his eyes, like by maybe smearing something nice on him for her to lick off. Like some sort of fruit juice? Although he might just end up sticky.

So really, all I'm saying is that I have nothing useful to say, but that I do sympathise with tricky and difficult bonding issues. Those are the things I would try though, either just letting them get on with it (if my nerves could handle that), or trying to distract her away from his eyes somehow.

Has anyone else dealt with an issue during bonding ?
Yes but not nippingt

When I was trying to bond Willow with beau he was so needy he was at her side every moment and she flayed out with her front legs and injured his lefteye causing a corneal ulcer which is still not normal.
I feel very sad about this because ..yeh ..this ended the relationship as I was too worried about it occuring again. I have no advice as I am so pessimistic when it comes to bonding and such acoward at attempting doing it. :(

Thanks guys!

I think it is a way for Pebbles to be dominant.. I originally thought she was just getting fed up with the unrequited grooming, but she's still doing it now that Georgie is showering her with kisses, so it's not that. She can be a major brat.. so it could just be her way of dealing with other bunnies?

I always check Geo's eye after bonding, and so far there hasn't been any marks or eye irritation. I just dread if I were to bond them completely, him getting fed up and it turning into a brawl. Will have to cross that bridge when it comes!

Will try something yummy on Georgie, great suggestion!

I know how you feel. I've given up on bonding these two multiple times since Georgie came here last August.. but now for the first time he's shown interest in grooming her, may give it one last chance.

I will give it another week and see where that leads us. I'm really hoping this is a phase for Pebbles that she will soon get over. So far it's been 4 days and no issues except the eye biting.. they're sharing a litterbox right now, which is a tough squeeze because Pebbles is stubborn enough to sit right in the middle so Georgie has to be half sitting on her..! She won't move until he leaves though.. definitely a VERY stubborn streak in her.

My two are bonded and it did take along time for them to stop fighting. Both groom each other, and both do clean each others eyes. Bebe isquite aggressive while grooming and chinning Pebbles. Pebbles will sit and let Bebenip near her eyes and I do seeher finch when it is near her eyes. I don't see any harm though.

Thanks Stan! You give me some hope.. since it sounds similar to my guys' situation.. I never knew the girls were bonded either! How cool! :D

They just spent the last hour and a half sitting side by side smooshed in the litterbox trying to eat hay.. so definitely have gotten comfortable with each other over the past couple days. Considering Pebbles is around 5lbs and Georgie is around 6ish.. trying to fit in a 12inch by 14inch litterbox with no fighting? And they are there by choice? Definitely think I can bond these two!

Back