French lops?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Myia09

Reaction score
I saw some for the first time every yesterday. I been wanting a large rabbit (Been active looking for a flemish) but I really love the size and cutness of these guys!

But I have not found any information on temperament or overall personality. Does anyone have any information to share?

Never had one but I'm planning on getting one, too. I have read they they tend to have the dog-like personalities associated with other large breeds. This depends of course on how they've been raised, as well. If it means anything, the ones I saw at the convention kept doing bunny flops (falling onto their sides to sleep) right there in the small show cages surrounded by strange rabbits. I didn't see many of the other rabbits doing this. Relaxed bunnies!

I had an intact french lop girl that I thought might make a good companion for Tiny (flemish giant).

BIG BIG BIG mistake. They hated each other.

I liked her - but she honestly seemed to resent and hate our family because we took her from her breeder and when we had another family visit us to get lionheads - they fell in love with her and she fell in love with them.

I found her to be EXTREMELY territorial and very nippy.

I'm not saying I don't recommend the breed - I think this was just a poor match between people and bunny and after she went to a new home I saw pictures of her and she was sooo happy and loved. I think she partly didn't like having to be locked up a portion of the time since she would attack Tiny.

Here are some pictures of her - she honestly never looked happy while she lived with us...

5c43de0e.jpg

aa618502.jpg

3eb159ed.jpg

bc48ea2b.jpg

I have a french lop named Fynnagin. He is VERY laid back, NOTHING phases him. He is a very relaxed bunny and very care free. That being said he is also full of personality. He does bunny 500's every morning around his cage when he sees me coming. He is ready to eat and get out to play. He, like most buns, does not like being picked up but once in your arms he is a floppy bunny. I love my big bunny.

Aww french lops are just adorable,I would love one myself...there are quite a few bunnies that i would love to see in real life.

Tinysmom- While I have other bunnys my french lop would be a free range w/o a companion (Besides me) so I wonder if that will make a difference.

It warms me to hear Fynnagin is just like what I want.
I don't think she will have babies for at least two months so I have more to think about..

But I am def excited!
They were so big! It was awesome :)

Myia09 wrote:
Tinysmom- While I have other bunnys my french lop would be a free range w/o a companion (Besides me) so I wonder if that will make a difference.

I don't think she will have babies for at least two months so I have more to think about..

But I am def excited!
That could make a difference I'm sure...

I think Beatrice knew that Tiny was head bunny and she wanted that position. I think the fact she was intact added to this...

I think if I had one again - I'd want a buck..

i have an intact female. she is a bit more active than my flemish but she is a lot cuddlier. extremely bossy...if i stop petting her she will nip me and dig until i start again.
IMG_0144.jpg

812092.jpg

8100941.jpg

8100934.jpg

1257177291.jpg

1257437150.jpg

1257439237.jpg

Myia09 wrote:

But I am def excited!

Glad I could help. Fynnagin is my first big bunny and he is so amazing. I was pleasantly surpriseda t his calm, gentle demeanor. He is definitely a character. He lives alone, I have another rabbit but I have not tried to bond them since the new guy is only 11 weeks and very tiny. Plus Fynn seems to enjoy being an only bun and since I have the space, I figure why rock the boat.

My vote is to get your French Lop, but then again, due to Fynn I am a little biased.

I have heard they are very calm, but a bit superior--they think they're better than you. I think that sounds like a really funny personality, plus they're adorable and big. Of course, it's really hard to type a personality by a breed. In general, though, bigger bunnies are more laid back and smaller bunnies are more hyper, due to the effort required to move those bodies around.

One of my very first bunnies was a big french lop named Christopher. I knew a breeder and when I would visit her and her bunnies I would always comment on how much I loved Christopher. When it came time for her to thin out her herd she called me and asked if I would like to have him! I was thrilled :bunnydance:He was one of my most favorite bunnies ever. Laid back and not a mean bone in his body. Just typing this is making me wonder why I don't have another :biggrin2:

Back