french lop -judge him

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheandg

Reaction score
I am just getting into the rabbit world and this is my first french lop. He is 9 1/2 weeks old and since I have no clue about body type ( will learn with time) I wanted to see where he is lacking so I can get a doe to breed with him to get better babies. I know the larger breeds can take awhile to fill out but just wanted some opinions on him. I know I can't take him to a show until he is 8 pounds and I think he is almost 5 pounds....... I need a better scale to be more accurate. Not sure on his pose if it isn't helping the pics??? He wouldn't sit very well. Gotta practice

thanks so much

IMG_5391-1.jpg

IMG_5396.jpg

IMG_5398.jpg

IMG_5401.jpg

OMG he is gorgeous! What is his color?

Sorry I can't help you with the judging part at all!

I just found Marley's boyfriend! :p

Omg I love the color! I'm remembering that.

Unless he is posed just right I am not much help. I have never felt a FL but have a friend who has bred them for years and I have saw many pictures. Looks like he is lacking in the head but he has a long time to fill in. Looks like he needs more depth and width. He is very cute :p

A few months? My friend always waited until 9 months or later before breeding both bucks and does.

sheandg wrote:
Boz wrote:
I just found Marley's boyfriend! :p

Omg I love the color! I'm remembering that.

Well I just live next door to you in MN! He should be ready for action in a few months
I wish! my mom would not be happy if I brought home another bunny. :p

bunnybunbunb wrote:
Unless he is posed just right I am not much help. I have never felt a FL but have a friend who has bred them for years and I have saw many pictures. Looks like he is lacking in the head but he has a long time to fill in. Looks like he needs more depth and width. He is very cute :p

A few months? My friend always waited until 9 months or later before breeding both bucks and does.

when I say a few I mean 5 or so. I know the bucks can be ready at about 8-10 months

I saw one breeder breed a doe at 4 months, I was so angered! The doe ended up with 7 babies I believe it was. How could anyone in their right mind breed a French Lop doe at 4 months old? I can not express how I felt, I wanted to reach through the computer and *cough* smack them. Before that point I talked to the breeder but once I saw what she did I stopped.

I think you should try for a better profile picture. He's kinda stretched out, making him look VERY long, and VERY flat. From what I can see, he's also pinched in the HQ, and needs a better developed head, he's young though, so it might correct itself. His face looks pretty long for a frenchie though. Keep an eye on it.

Look for a doe with a nice, bold head, full HQ, and nice depth.

ETA:

Looking back on the pictures, he's got a slipped crown as well, meaning, the ears are placed to far back on his head.

ok I think I have a better profile pic. His head does look small I hope it fills out a little more but the breeder has been working on getting bigger heads. I am going to a show next month and hopefully can find a good doe. It has been really hot and I notice he isn't eating a lot right now. I feel so bad in the heat. I did bring him in yesterday for him to cool down.

IMG_5415.jpg

It's difficult to do an accurate assessment when the rabbit isn't posed correctly (he's also still rather young). In the photo above, the rabbit is too tucked up. The front toes need to be even with the eyes and the rear toes even with the hip. From the photos posted, I'm getting the impression that the rabbit is a little long over the shoulder, pinched in the lower hindquarter and lacks fullness over the hips. He may be a little fine in bone, but that's difficult to assess from a photo.

Pam

thanks for trying. I guess I need to learn more about posing. There is so much to learn and I am such a newbie. I am excited to learn so thanks all for the input. I guess I will get some hands on judging at the show next month. I will just bring him and see what their views are having him there in person. I know he is too young to enter into the show. We all have to start somewhere and the bottom is the best place to start. :p

If your new to the rabbit world, I would suggest you wait at least a year to be sure you want to breed and make sure the frenchie is the one for you!!!

His head is a little small and looks like the shoulders are a little lengthy.
Wait till he's older to see how he turns out and show him as a intermediate to see what the judges say. You may have to breed to a tight shouldered doe with more depth in her body. :)

One of the best ways to know if you want to raise a certain breed is to buy a pair, give it a couple litters. If you aren't liking it, you aren't too far in that you can't get out and start with a different breed. I think you're approaching it the right way.

In all of the pictures you posted, he looks like he lacks depth. I already siad that, but, whatever. You can't properly asses a rabbit without it being posed correctly, as pamnock said. When you're at the next show you go to, ask a breeder to show you how to pose him. Anyone who breeds a commercial or compact breed will be able to show you.

I figure I will do it that way, just one pair and stay with that for a bit. I also am going to try lionheads. I know the frenchies can eat a lot!!! So just one big breed for me now. I figure you just gotta try things in life and nothing has to be forever I can change my mind down the road......

My goal is to get my young daughter into the rabbit world and we can have a mother daughter thing to do together. She is only 2 right now but I figure I have a few years to learn the ropes and then can teach her. When she is old enough she can choose the breed she is interested in. With all the research I have done I have noticed people change their breeds over the years. I guess it keeps things interesting and a new challenge.

I'm just throwing this out there, but I've found that most Frenchies look incredibly ugly type-wise at this age! lol So I would wait until closer to 4-5 months or so and then take pictures again for us to evaluate. You'll be surprised how much he matures and changes. :)

GORGEOUS color though, that's definitely something he has going for him!

Latest posts

Back