French lop breeding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beckyzoo91!

Reaction score
Hi all, I am the new owner of 2 french lops. I am concerned as my buck (intact) has started mounting my doe (intact) both 4 months old. All the literature I've read states that giant breeds cannot breed until 8 or 9months of age... is this truly the case or can they possibly breed sooner? I have chosen to separate for the time being, as this may simply be hormonal and seasonal interest. I am looking to breed them in the future, but am concerned that this is far too early for Belle to fall pregnant with her first litter. Any thoughts or advice are appreciated. Thank you

Hi, if you don't want them to breed you should separate them asap she can get pregnant at 4 months easily. Not sure what literature you've read but boys and girls are usually separated at max 10-12 weeks to avoid early pregnancies, dwarf breeds can become sexually active even earlier from 9 weeks sometimes.

Maybe 8 or 9 months of age was about when it is recommended to breed when they are full adults since early pregnancies are not good for young mother she's still growing and will have to build new bones and bodies inside and then produce milk to nurse her babies so that was probably recommendations for breeders when would be best time to start breeding.

If you don't want her to have babies I would recommend taking her to a vet they can check using ultrasound if she is already pregnant, which is very possible since they are housed together and breeding literally takes seconds, if so they can spay her now removing her uterus with fetuses.

Gestation period for rabbits is 31 day so you better act quickly, as I understand you are very new to rabbits and if any complications you can lose your rabbit and her babies, she can kindle 1-14 babies at once.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back