fred isn't feeling too hot

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swanlake

Reaction score
so worried about fred. he seems more lazy, doesn't seem to have as much energy as normal.

he keeps scratching his ears, and cleaning them. i can't figure out why. i looked at his ears and they look good, nothing wrong.

now i am worried about his pee. its not like, one spot. its kinda small and spread out. i know this because he peed on my carpet.:grumpy:

i gave him some pumpkin just now.

PLEASE HELP

sure there's no mites down there my vet uses a torchy thing to check cause i think the problems can be quite far down. or maybe an ear infection.

I would get an appointment for the vet tomorrow morning to get them checked.

Have you put his favourite treats out to see if he is interested?

Yikes, missed this! And I agree with Polly, you need to get his ears checked, even vets have trouble spotting ear problems like mites or infections, they can be very hard to see.

I don't understandwhat you mean when you're describing his urine output... can you tell if it's a normal amount, normal concentration and normalcolour? But he's dribbling?

Can you tell if he's straining to pee?

It's worth getting his urine tested, too, that should be pretty easy to do. Here are a few Library categories that may or may not apply.

Ear Mites

Vestibular Disease

Urinary Problems

Let us know how he's doing!

sas :clover:

thanks for the articles pipp

we are going to take him to the vet tomorrow, rather be safe than sorry.

as for his urine, well the color is fine its just there are a couple spots he peed where it was kinda dribbly, not the usual, you know, full circle thingie.

Hi,

Just saw this thread. Could you give some more details about Fred...age, breed, weight....things like that. I agree that a full physical is in order....a urinalysis for sure but I would also suggest a blood panel. I would take a close look at the kidney values. I would also take a close look at a urine sample under a microscope and see ifthere appears to be excess crystal formation. A couple of things you mentioned caught my attention...but I would like to see what the vet says and the results of any tests. In the meantime....watch him carefully. Compare what he is doing and how he is acting as to his previous actions. Look at his eyes very closely. See if they "tick"...or move like he is searching for something....and it might be very slight. Watch him as he hops around. Do you notice any difference in his motions as compared to say a few months ago? Does he ever stumble or drag one of his rear legs....and again, it might be very slight and might not happen very often. Does he have a different odor about him? Maybe amore concentrated urine odor?Has anything changed in his environment? Anything you can notice that is out of the ordinary for Fred could easily be a clue. Keep us posted.

Randy

fred is a mini lop, about 5 lbs, and about 6 months old.

he just seems less active than normal, usually he escapes his pen everyday but he hasn't for a while.

swanlake wrote:
he just seems less active than normal, usually he escapes his pen everyday but he hasn't for a while.
I think it's really good that you're bringing him to the vet. It's so important to go with your gut instincts. Something is obviously telling you that it's not right.

Good luck :pray:

so fred ended up having a mild ear infection.

the doc said to whatch for his laziness, and urine, see how it is. we go back in 2 weeks for a followup.

he seems to be doing ok, the doc said he looked good

Glad to hear the appt went well! What kind of meds did he put Fred on?

Did they takea urine sample? Also, have his poops been normal?

no they didn't take a urine sample, i was alone, didn't have a parent until almost the end of the exam so i didn't know if papers would have to be signed, since you have to be 18 to sign papers to approve some medical procedures.

the vet gave me some ear drops, and also some ear cleaner. i am to do the ear drops twice a day, for two weeks, and the ear cleaner about two times a week.

forgot to say, yes his poops are normal, gosh he is just one pooping machine!

oh, poor guy had his temp. taken, lol, first rectal temp ever! he did good though

Back