Freaking Out

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moochyesh

Reaction score
Today the kids let Marci in Stans cage while i was out, The are both not fixed stan a year and a 1/2 and marci 4 months old.... Do you think they could have mated and her chances of getting pregnant at that age are?

His surgery was so close and we were doing so good.

Yes they could have mated and yes she could be pregnant. One option, although some may view as controversial, is if you go immediately you can take her to the vet and abort/spay IF she is pregnant (if your vet will spay at 4 mths alot of times depends on her weight). Not suggesting either way just giving you your options. Otherwise, wait about a month and there could be babies......
Sorry this happened :(

Sorry this happened! Surprise litters aren't usually th most fun thing to discover :)
What you can do is palpate her when she's about 14 days after the day you think she bred. I don't know anything about palpating, so hopefully someone can say more about that, because I think it's a good option. I'd hate to tell you the wrong way to do it! Basically it's using your fingers to feel in her stomach for little "marbles" which are the babies. Either way, best to start researching on baby bunnies just in case! Unfortunately, I'd say its VERY likely that she's pregnant.

My guess is that she is pregnant. If you do not want a litter, I would talk to your vet about the emergence spay. If not start prepairing NOW for a litter. You will need a nest box, wood chips and hay (I line the nest box with wood chips and then stuff LOTS of hay in the box and give LOTS of hay on the floor of the cage so she can build her nest). The nest box generally goes in 1 week before they are due to give birth. This website will help you with the dates. http://www.threelittleladiesrabbitry.com/breedingcalculator.php.

I'm going to watch this thread intently in about 25+ days :D

It's unlikely that Marci would conceive at four months old. However, it is possible, so this would be a good time to either consult your vet or start researching a bit about how to prepare and care for a litter. Feel free to ask questions in the show forum. There are several knowledgeable breeders over there. :)

What breed is Marci? If she's a larger breed, then the likelihood of her getting caught is a lot lower. Even if she would have somehow caught, smaller breeds tend to have smaller litters...making it easier to find homes for them if she did catch.

What breed is Marci? If she's a larger breed, then the likelihood of her getting caught is a lot lower. Even if she would have somehow caught, smaller breeds tend to have smaller litters...making it easier to find homes for them if she did catch.

OOOOR making it easier to say, "Well...lets just keep 'em all :D!"

smaller breeds tend to have smaller litters...making it easier to find homes for them if she did catch.
I have to disagree with you on that. I had a Mini Rex named Brownie that in her first litter produced 8 babies and raised them all. Shiny Things came from that litter even. The most babies I ever had from any of my Californians was 6 in one litter. Most of the Californian litters were 4 or under, where as the Mini Rex averaged 5-6.

Those are some very small litters for a Californian. Our smallest has been 8 and some that have 10 or more. French Lops have 8-14. And Sarah is correct, if she's a dwarfy type, then the litters should be fairly small. Either way, I would let her go and prepare, just in case. And make sure the kids know that, under NO circumstances, are they ever to put the two rabbits together again. :)

She will be spayed asap, best option to go with for us.

My children have autism thats why they did not understand ..

Latest posts

Back