freaking out

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cazarty

Reaction score
I have noticed latelythat Sammy keeps acting scared (not sure if she genuinly is). She laysdown behind our sofa and if i get up and walk near her she jumps up andraces around the room. She is doing this lots even when she is justsitting there and i get up she shoots off around the room and am nowfinidng it hard to even get near her. She lives indoors andhas never got jumpy like this.

If she is in her room and i walk in there she jumps up and runs aroundin circles. I will just stand there and wait for her to stop she willwatch me for a bit then come over to me, then she is fine, but if i goout and come back later she will do it again. I know she is being alertto the noise of me walking around but she never used to do this. Am iscaring her or is this just another hormonal reaction. I dont want tofeel as though she is being scared all the time.

We have left her be by not picking her up as she hates that at themoment and i know a lot of her behavior is due to her hormones (she isnearly six months old) but this lastest change is just a littleupseting for me as i want my loving bun back.

I am getting her spayed soon.

One more question - i had been reading some infoand noticed i have been feeding Sammy Cauliflower when in fact youshould only feed then the leaves and stalks. Is this bad forher? I will stop feeding her the cauli now.

hmmm....Im not too sure about this one. Could just be the hormones making her jumpy. Do you have plans to have her spayed?

I would jut be cautious to enter the room slowly if youre worried about frightening her.

Also, better stop with the cauliflower. heres a list of safe veggies:http://www.rabbit.org/care/veggies.html

Hope this helps!

-Haley

To me, it actually sounds more like your Sammyis playing. I know, it looks like the bun is FREAKED the heckout, but it really does sound like she's playing with you.Their movements can be so spur-of-the-moment sometimes.:) They love to be found when they're hiding, and ifnothing's really changed in the household, then I wouldn't worry aboutit...she's just playing with you.

Of course, due to her age, her not wanting you to come near her and thecircling could just be hormonal, but otherwise, with the runningaround...remember...they love to be chased! :) Asfar as hormones, you might also notice her being more reluctant to youpicking her up (if she ever let you before) and being more active inher digging and chewing.

Check out the various links in theCommunication andLanguage section to see what I mean. :)

--Rosie*

Thank you for your replies.

When i got home last night she was not doing her "freak out" but wasquite content and chilled - still wont let me pick her up but i knowthat is her hormones.

Reading your reply about her liking to be chased that does sound likeSammy she loves it when i get on the floor and chase her and if i runaway from her she will chase me. I think im just being overworrying.

I am going to get her spayed in about 3/4 weeks, she has been onmedication for a few months due to a head tilt (details in other posts)but we are stopping this and hopefully if she is well enough we willget her to the vets.

My Charlie does this sometimes and he isDEFINATELY not playing. I have not been able to figure it out- I think it's just whenever he doesn't expect me (or he is in themiddle of mischief) and I come around the corner quietly and he is notexpecting it - he will flip out and run all over the room or his cagecrashing into things to the point where I think he is going to hurthimself.

My other bunny Misty just sits there like "what the heck is goingon?".Like I said - I've not been able to figure out what setshim off all the time.

It sounds like hes playing to me. I had onlyread about this til recently but occasionally Bud will do the samething while we're hanging out. Either when I first come in he'll do acouple laps around me and want a raisin or hay or he'll just randomlydo it while i'm sitting on the floor and then he'll stopandbeg =P

Latest posts

Back