Fraggles is destroying the sofa!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So Frags has a new project and as all of you know that when a bun picks a project they will not give up on it...We have a new(ish) sofa in the living room. Jason loves it cause it actually reclines on both ends and I love it cause its not hideous so this is a great compromise for us...Fraggles loves it to and has chewed five holes into the overstuffed cushions. Today she tore out a pile of stuffing twice the size of herself....I had to restuff the sofa and then place a large old sheet over it. Now she digs at the sheet! We are talking about fixing the holes and saving this sofa which is only about 6 months old bought brand new....But how do we keep her off it. Squirt bottles don't work and clapping my hands don't work also....She is determined to kill the sofa. HELP!

OH no Twigs has tough her his wonderful new trick sorry. But our couches are 10 yrs old and leather. So there is no fixing the giant holes in them. We have simply gone to wrapping them in old sheets and blankets. Not pretty but it helps. And yes he has eaten holes in the blankets as well.

I found that if I feel him a lil extra pellets at night he's not as inclined to eat the couch, but I'm not sure if that will work for Fraggles or not. Also if we catch him doing it we tell him No and pin his head & shoulders down for a second. Which he HATES with a passion and will give us stink eye the rest of the day. But it has seemed to help.

Fraggles is clearly starving to death! Send her to me immediately for proper feeding! :p

Can you spray it with something she doesn't like, such as perfume or fabreeze? It might be a bit of a deterrant.

Derby did the same thing until we put a throw rug on the chair. I find that the heavier ones, something like what you put on the floor work the best. A 6'x 8' throw rug at Walmart here is under $50. We put this on the bed at my daughters when we go there and he just reclines on it like it is an extension of the floor.

I don't think febreeze is good for animals.

But I like Alma's idea about putting a rug or something heavier than a sheet on it. I've never been through this myself. But could you feed her some extra greens or pellets or something, because like Brandy said, she is clearly starving to death!

*lol CLEARLY starving :p
Agreed, really heavy sheet - maybe a few layers. If she is a piddler, get that faux plastic arctic-fleece (vellux?). They can't pee through that. You are going to need a few layers of heavy duty fabric for her to kill...
Any reason you can't expand the run area, keeping her a bit more confined?

The only thing I have found that deters them from chewing white bar soap. It is AMAZING! I mean just the tiniest bit rubbed on something they won't even go near it again. Imread about it on RO.
Anyway, not sure how it would work on a sofa but maybe it's worth a try.......?
Good luck!

Thanks everyone....I am thinking I will try Alma's ideal although I hate to cover my pretty sofa....But I don't know what else to do...As I was typing this I had to race into the living room cause I heard the sound of digging paws....

Maybe they need a new distraction? When Vito & Lola set their minds to a new project that I don't approve of (Riping up carpet, chewing my couch or desk), no matter how many times I clap my hands, shot no or use a squirt bottle (I think Vito just rolls his eyes at me when I do this), I try to get their devious bunny minds off of their "project" and get them a toy or preferably a new box that they can use their HGTV skills on :)

Hi there, so glad I found this as I´ve got a similar problem. Mine love chewing anything but they started to chew the back of the sofa that´s up against the way...I´ve sorted that for the moment by putting the board I use in the summer in the door out to the terrace and put it behind the sofa so they can´t get to it although they can still run through from one end to the other. Houdini has also started to chew on the bottom of my china cabinet.
Does the white soap really work ?? And is it just normal soap ? Do you just rub it across the part where they like to chew ?? Any help appreciated as it´s driving me mad :nasty:

:happyrabbit:

Hi there, so glad I found this as I´ve got a similar problem. Mine love chewing anything but they started to chew the back of the sofa that´s up against the way...I´ve sorted that for the moment by putting the board I use in the summer in the door out to the terrace and put it behind the sofa so they can´t get to it although they can still run through from one end to the other. Houdini has also started to chew on the bottom of my china cabinet.
Does the white soap really work ?? And is it just normal soap ? Do you just rub it across the part where they like to chew ?? Any help appreciated as it´s driving me mad :nasty:

It's just plain Ivory white bar soap. I don't know if you have that available where you are. You want something without added scents or colorings, and as pure as possible.

It seems to work really well with alot of rabbits. You just rub some on there. Sometimes rubbing vinegar on things will work too, but not always.

Thanks for that, I´ll source something here and try it as I´d like my furniture to last as long as possible :biggrin2:

I´ll let you know how I go on.

Latest posts

Back