four weeks to go I need to get cracking on a cage!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArtbyMollie

Reaction score
I am going to bringing home my Japanese harlequin in about 4 weeks which means I need to get my cage situation figured out.

ok I plan on having 3-4 hours (or more) free range time but while Im at work/sleeping I need a large but not too huge cage. I have a c&c cage from when I had piggies that is 2x3 one level that I could modify but it sat on a shelf that I cant fit more than the one level on.

I also was pondering the idea of a cage with a "fenced" in run around it. I was looking at this cage.
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753350&utm_source=googleproduct&utm_campaign=5124598&utm_medium=cse&mr:trackingCode=07FE6564-C881-DE11-B712-001422107090&mr:referralID=NA

I work at petsmart so I can get a pretty good disco. deal on it. any other ideas would be appreciated.
I also have two cats that are free about my apartment but the bunny will be in my bedroom which they are shut out of when I am not home. but regardless I need a sturdy strong cage definitely with a top on it.

this will be my first bun so any other advice would be awesome!
thanks!

You can put the c&c (NIC) cage on the floor. Build it up to at least 2 grids high. This would allow enough space for a rabbit to stand up and the rabbit would be able to go in and out on its own since it is on the ground. If you have the floor space for the cage in the link, you would have the space for a 2X3 cage.

An x-pen can also work as a cage. You could need something to protect the floor, but it would allow lots of space. Personally, I would get one where the door goes to the top of the pen (not just in the middle of a panel), so you can just step through the door and not have to go over the top of the pen. You could also just arrange it so the ends are at the front and you can just open one panel as the door. You can get or make tops for pens.

The petsmart cage does seem to be fairly large as far as pet store cages go. The shelf might not be suitable for the rabbit as an adult, but could be used for not. The base might be a bit tall for a young rabbit to come in and out on its own, so a ramp might be needed for a little while.

It would be good to measure the area you plan on using to see if it will work for the cage you want. It is no good to get a 4ft long cage when the space is only 3.5ft.

yea I am just in the beginning of the planning stages so I haven't set my heart or mind to anything other than the bunny! That makes sense about putting the c&c on the floor, I totally had a face palm moment when I read that! Ill take some measurements and maybe some pictures for reference and see what I can do:biggrin2: thanks

I have that exact cage and Storm and jessi sit on the shelf together. Shoot my 14 pound cat uses the other one I have and uses the shelf.

Storm and jessi weigh about 5 pound between the two of them.

I would caution it is a huge cage. So if you dont have a lot of room I would go ahead and build a NIC cage.

Latest posts

Back