found a stray

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amberelizabeth

Reaction score
Well as most of you guys know I'm new to the bunny world, Layla is my first rabbit and I'm learning more all the time.

Anyways, yesterday my boyfriend who works outside all day saw a little brown/white domestic rabbit (about 3lbs) hopping around outside. long story short he caught the little guy, took him back to his house, and went and got food/hay from my house to give to him. the little guy is in a big dog crate now w/ bedding and a few toys food/water etc. he's such a sweetheart, i played w/ him all last night holding him and petting him. he's eating and pooping fine.

now, he's really dirty, i'm not sure how to go about cleaning him because he's still a little skiddish, he has a couple matts around his bum area and his furjust doesn't have that sheen to it.i want to try and keep him, do you think the localvet willclean himup when i take him today to get him checked out and for sure sexed?

the bad thing is, if him and layla don't get along i really don't have room to house another bunny in a seperate NIC cage, so i'm really hoping they can get along, if noti'm forced to take him thehumane society. :(

so any ideas on cleaning/bonding? especially since he's been out in the wild for, well i'm not toos ure how long.

Kudos on saving the little guy! The vet should be able to clip the mats off for you. Be sure to bring a fecal sample in with you so it can be tested for worms. As for cleaning, what is he dirty with? You can wipe him down with a baby wipe to get mud and such off of him. I really wouldn't be too concerned as now that he is in a cleaner place he'll be able to take care of his fur a little better. And the lack of sheen on the fur is probably due to the diet or lack thereof that he's been getting.

If he doesn't bond (and you'll need to have him spayed/neutered first), you can try rehoming him through here and by putting up posters in vet offices, etc. If you still can't find a home for him look around for a no-kill shelter or rabbit rescue that could take him in.

There's lots of bonding info in Bunny 101:
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12072&forum_id=17

My favorite site:
http://www.mybunnies.com/bonding.htm

thanks for the response naturestee

he's mainly dirty w/ just dirt, rainwater. my boyfriend found him around a garbage can :(

layla is spayed, has been for like 2months, so if they do bond do i need to have him spayed/neutured right away?

i'm really hoping they can bond, if i had the room i definitely would keep him. but i'll be sure to take in a sample of his poops and let you guys know if he needs a new home :)

p.s. teh humane society i was talking about is a no-kill thats all i would do!

If possilble, I would get the little guy neutered before bonding. All he'll want to do is mate if he's still intact.

When I first bonded Zeke, Wildfire and Baxter, I thought Zeke was neutered but due to a communication error at the vet's office he wasn't. I could figure out why Zeke was spraying and humping like crazy until one day I flipped him over and discovered how well endowed he was for a neutered bunny...

Off to the vets Zeke went. About a week after, the spraying and humping stopped. The trio got along so much better with out hop by sprayings and hump attacks.

Chances are, getting the little guy neutered is going to make bonding way more feasable. If you want to give this pairing the best chance possible, get him neutered and wait 2-3 weeks before bonding.

--Dawn

Am I right that your bunny is a doe? I'm going to repeat what others have said already. You absolutly cannot even introduce the two bunnies until one or both are fixed. It only takes a matter of seconds for a litter to be made. If you want them to get to know each other, you can put them in cages next to each other, but with an inch or so gap in between to make sure they don't mate through the wire. It's fairly rare for that to happen, but it can.

Gentle Giants, her girl Layla is spayed, so no worries there ;)

I would definitely have him neutered before you try introducing them. It will make things a lot easier. Also, you'll want to keep him quarantined until after you rule out worms, etc and for at least a few weeks to monitor his health.

Good for you guys for rescuing him though. I hope he and Layla eventually bond. But, if not, he'll still be better off than where he was.

Hugs to you amberelizabeth. BG the abandoned agouti came off the streets in winter of 2006. Not after he had fathered many, although. Plus the hit by vehicle rabbit. :(

BG'sfirst vet visit showed ear mites. Our vet let us see 'em under the microscope. BG got the revolution doses for applying on his skin, on his neck - in back of his ears.

Thank Heavens your caring boyfriend found this dumped bunny ~ and you're willing to do something for him or her.

Hello and head rubs to Layla! Please do keep us updated,

So glad your BF was so considerate to pick him and for you to save him and try to keep him :). That is just so awesome, I really hope all goes well and that he can stay. Definitely keep us updated!

:goodluck

Oh make sure to post some pics of him/her online!!! I really want to see him. He sounds like a real cutie!!

-TK:headflick:

Great job! Your boyfriend sure is a keeper :biggrin2:.

Sending good thoughts your way for the vet visit and *hopefully* future bonding!

Oh yeah.....and I am DYING to see pictures :pullhair:.

Latest posts

Back