Found a couple small drops of blood in Oscar's cage:(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leslie102

Reaction score
The drops were on one of his blankets.(they didn't soak through to the other side, the blanket is quite thin)About two the size of a dime. I think he may have pulled a nail on his nic cage. He has a hay rack on the outside and sometime digs at it a little. He is happy and healthy. He was doing figure 8's arround my legs this morning while i was cutting his slice of banana. Everything is very normal...poop and pee and sleeping habbits. I suspect this happen yesterday in the morning while i was sleeping(i work midnights.) I didn't find the blood til i was putting him to bed last night at 11. K so i am going to take him to the vet today to check and makesure everything is okay. I would love any stories u have to reassure me or warn me if u suspect this is something other than a pulled nail. I checked him over very well last night before work all four paws, eyes, ears, mouth and tummy. Like i sadi he has quite a healthy appetite and i wouldn't have even known something happened had i not seen the blood. So your thoughts,? I doubt this matters but he is a neutered holland lop. thanks in advance, i just love him so much and would love to here reassuring stories before i take him to the vet today.

You could check his feet - just sort of look and put a little pressure on the toes. If he's broken one enough to bleed, he'll be sensitive most likely.

Bo has broken them to the point that I had to hold his paw in flour to stop it. Try holding a bunny paw in a dish sometime! LOL!

Turn him over and make sure you don't see any signs of a cut or blood on his underside and bottom.

Then I'd just watch. I think I've noticed a little blood like that in Cloverbunny's cage before too.

As I was checking his feet last night he didn't seem sensitive at all. He has a three level nic cage and has been going up and down with ease so i don't suspect anything is broken or even hurting anymore. I supect he has completly forgotten about what happened yesterday and would laugh at me if he knew that i was worrying about him. Hehe. The funny thing is yesterday when i was sleeping i had a dream that he had snuged his toenail. He really is my heart bunny. I haven't called the vet yet, it's 7:40am here now, they don't open til 9. Does anybody think it would be completely silly to bring the blanket in with the drops of blood on it so the vet can see how much/little there is?

Thanks for responding Bo b bunny, i check his underside and didn't see anything.

Oscar's looking at me know like what are you doing mommy?

Oscar is fine!! I brought him to the vet, it was a ripped nail, not infected:) On our way home he looked at me and said "Tolds you so mommy!" lol

Glad to hear it was nothing serious. Mine have ripped nails before and it bleeds a lot at first and then theyre fine. ;)

I hope your vet didnt charge you for diagnosing a broken nail :biggrin2:

hehe...I wish! She did charge me but, I didn't mind paying just to have the peace of mind. She also clipped his nails and did an exam so it's okay. She charged me for a brief exotic exam, $42.50.:shock: No biggy, just my tips from the night before;) Hehe Oscar's ok that's the mane thing:) Oscar's gonna be laughing at me all day! He's looks at me like"mommy you ares so silly, it's just a littles bit a blood" hehe

I'm glad he's fine. The first time Bo broke a nail (he's done it twice and Clover once I think) I nearly had a heart attack. Bo's my little man like Oscar is yours. Oh, just Now, Clover is in there snorting at me.CWOVERBUNNY WANTS DAFOOD MOMMY! FOOD! :tantrum:

When Bo was first here, I didn't know ANYTHING about caring for a bunny. We just saw him, knew we wanted a bunny for 4H (lol that never happened!) and brought him home.

On like day 2 I was in tears, my daughter asked what was wrong, and I told her that there was something terribly wrong with our little bunny and I didn't think he was going to make it. He would go over to his little wash cloth in his cage and sort of stand there and look at me and suddenly just fall over...... :embarrassed:I had no idea what a happy little bunny flop was!

bunnyflopped1.jpg

Latest posts

Back