Fostering a Rabbit.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lynnie.K

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm new here and I am looking into fostering a bunny or two.
I'm going to be going off to college soon so I don't have the time to commit to actually owning a bunny so I thought fostering would be the perfect solution. I've never had one before so I'm not sure exactly everything that goes into keeping one but I've been perusing this forum for a few months and I think I know the basics!
I'm in the midst of replying to a rabbit rescue with some questions about fostering, but I can only think of two questions and I feel like it's important to ask as many important ones as I can. I'm hoping I can find some help here in getting together a few more.
So far I'm asking if the foster home will be reimbursed for the cost of litter, hay, food, etc. and if they require them to be housed in a certain way (I'd like to free-range).
Is there anything else that is important to ask?
Thank you for reading!

Rescues will usually provide supplies. They might buy in bluk or get things donated or get discounts, so they can get what they want and then supply it to foster homes. Some might reimburse you, but it would depend on what you buy, if it is not something that approve of then you might be out of luck.
Housing would depend on the rescue. You would need to keep the rabbit safe and keep it from getting into things that could be dangerous. Free range might not be best for all rabbits, but a larger area could definitely work. Having somewhere safe (like a pen or cage) when you are not around is best.

You do need to consider your longer term housing. If you are going off to college, you might only have a few months to foster, some rescues may need a rabbit to be fostered longer (until it gets adopted) and might not have a lot of foster homes that could take the rabbit if you can't. Rabbits do take some time to care for, so being busy with school and a social life might not mean a lot of time for the rabbit. A reacue might need some easy access to the rabbit for vet visits, adoption visits and other things.

While fostering might not be as long term as owning a rabbit, it is still the same amount of work from day to day. I just had a foster rabbit adopted after 6 months, so it can be a long wait.

So they would provide the pelleted food and veggies as well as hay and litter? I won't be going away for about a year or so, and I'm sure that'll be enough time to be able to foster.
The questions are what I'm planning on asking the rescue. Did you by chance foster for AAORR?
Thank you for your reply :)

Last edited:
I do work with AAORR.
I am a bit differet, I do supply my own hay (but buy bales), and litter (use wood pellets and it is quite cheap). Pellets are supplied and I do my own veggies. The one foster home we do have that is not a friend does get hay supplied as well as pellets, I am not sure about litter.
As far as supplies, you would generally get what the rabbit comes with or suitable supplies if they don't come with anything. So you would get a cage, litter box, dishes etc.
The foster I mentioned does have a bonded pair and they are in her kitchen I think, so have a large area..

Not leaving for a year would be plenty of time.

Hi Lynnie,

Have you emailed AAORR? If so, it would be me that would have gotten your email. It's our family that runs the rescue. If I got it, I would have replied to you with the contract we have our fosters fill out when they wish to foster for us. We can provide hay and pellets as all the rabbits are on a specific diet, so we go over that with potential fosters when they take in a rabbit. If I haven't sent you the contract yet, send me another email and I will send it to you. It states in it what all you would be responsible for.

If you have more questions, feel free to contact my daughter Amanda, she's the one who can advise you better. Her name on here is Kipcha. :)

Wow, thank you Rosemarie!
I haven't emailed you yet but I saw the ad on kijiji and thought it would be a perfect opportunity! I'll message Amanda with my questions then, thank you again.

Back