For the Australian bunny owners

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krystalily

Reaction score
I guess in the state of Queensland(Austrailia) it is illegal to have pet bunnies. A disgruntled vet tookthe files of owners who had "long eared guinea pigs" and handed themover to authories which caused bunnies being taken from their homes(possibly killed) and the owners fined $30,000.

http://boingonline.blogspot.com/2006/10/qld-raid-on-rabbits.html

The above link goes to a blog that explains what happenedandhas a link to a petition for people to sign. (Not sure ifnon-Austrailian people can sign, so I didn't. But if I was Austrailian,I would)

Thought I'd just bring this up.

Here's some (dated) info on why the ban has been in place:

Press release July 2003

Pet rabbits still illegal in Queensland

4 July 2003

Keeping pet rabbits in Queensland remains illegal under the new LandProtection (Pest and Stock Route Management) Act 2002.
NR&M pest management strategy policy officer Jenny Shanahansaid the maximum penalty for keeping a rabbit without a permit inQueensland has increased from $3750 to $30,000 from 1 July 2003.
“Rabbits are one of Australia’s major agricultural and environmentalpests, costing between $600 million and $1 billion annually,” MsShanahan said.
“In Queensland alone, control of rabbits is estimated to cost the sheepand cattle industries in excess of $2 million per annum.”
Ms Shanahan said peak agricultural industry groups, Local Governmentassociations, and environmental and conversation groups support the banon keeping rabbits as pets.
“The new Act continues to recognise that wild rabbit plagues threatenthe livelihood of many rural landholders, causing considerable lossesto agricultural industries including grain and vegetable crops,” shesaid.
“Rabbits are an introduced species that have a major adverse impact onthe environment as a whole and Australia’s native flora and fauna.
“Rabbits compete with native animals and are a primary cause of soil erosion,” she said.
Ms Shanahan said organisations and businesses may apply for a permit tokeep rabbits for scientific research, public education and publicdisplay purposes - however these permits have strict conditions.
“Kindergartens and other educational institutions will no longer bepermitted to keep domestic rabbits from July 1, and permits will not beissued for keeping rabbits as pets or for rabbit farming ” she said.
Permits to keep rabbits for research, education or display purposes canbe obtained from the Department of Natural Resources and Mines, and arevalid for up to two years. Permits issued prior to 1 July 2003 arevalid and continue to be effective until 31 December 2003, unlessotherwise revoked, suspended or surrendered.
For further information on rabbits in Queensland phone freecall 1800 999 367 or see the NR&M website.
For further information contact Jenny Shanahan, Pest ManagementStrategy, Natural Resources and Mines: 07 3405 5526, or Media OfficerRose Rathborne 07 3405 6961 or after hours: Brett Davis on 0422 802296.
DNR Pest Facts-Pet rabbits - the most common illegal pet.

DECLARED

Why control the keeping of rabbits?

The rabbit is Australia's most destructive introduced pest. Wildrabbits cause more than $100 million damage every year and have causedand continue to cause severe land degradation and soil erosion. Wildrabbits threaten the survival of many rare and endangered species ofnative wildlife. The keeping of pets is strongly opposed by many rurallandholders whose livelihood is threatened by wild rabbit plagues. Manypeople fear the widespread keeping of rabbits as pets would causesimilar problems to those being experienced with the feral cat.

Restriction on keeping rabbits

The rabbit (all varieties, including domestic breeds) is a declaredpest animal throughout Queensland under the Rural Lands Protection Act1985. It is an offence to keep a rabbit of any variety as a pet. Themaximum penalty is $30,000.

Legal standing on pet rabbits

A proposal to legalise desexed domestic rabbits was considered in 1994but was rejected by the Departments of Primary Industries, Environmentand Heritage and Lands. The proposal was also opposed by several localgovernments and grazier groups. The present ban on pet rabbits has notbeen lifted and the keeping of all rabbits (domestic or otherwise) aspets remains illegal in Queensland.

Permits

A permit cannot be issued for keeping of pet rabbits of any variety for any private purpose.

A permit to keep a rabbit in Queensland can only be approved if the animal is being kept for an approved public purpose:
- public education - schools and universities which aim to raise awareness of the impact of wild rabbits

- public exhibition - registered zoos only

- public entertainment - registered entertainment businesses only

- scientific and research purposes - universities and medical laboratories

Permits to breed rabbits are only issued to recognised scientificinstitutions. Breeding of rabbits for any other purpose is an offence.

General Information

The domestic varieties and the wild (grey) variety of rabbits are thesame species, although the domestic varieties have been heavilymodified via years of cross-breeding and selection by rabbitenthusiasts. Although most escaped domestic rabbits are probably killedby feral cats, dogs and foxes, there is evidence that a smallproportion of escaped female domestic rabbits will survive and breedsuccessfully with wild male rabbits.

Wild rabbits were originally imported into Australia in 1859 andreleased for hunting purposes in Victoria. The wild rabbit has sincespread over most of Australia. There may be over 400 million wildrabbits in Australia today. Small colonies of domestic rabbit varietieshave established on islands, where predators are absent.

Further Information

Is available from Land Protection Officers, Department of NaturalResources 008 803 788 (local call) can provide the telephone number foryour nearest office.

Brochure party (sic) funded by Rural Protection Fund.
PA 15 November 1996 The state of Queensland Produced by Land Protection Sub
Program Agdex ISSN 1327-5402

It's really a shame...I mean, couldn't the gov't simply have arequirement, such as having pet rabbits registered, spayed/neutered,and innoculated if they are that afraid of potential risk? Then evenifsome domesticated rabbits were to escape into the wild andsomehow survive, at leastthey wouldn't reproduce....

I'm signing the petition...

yeah, I guess I understand where they are comingfrom. We dont have to worry about this here because domestics cantbreed with wild bunnies. But a total ban? I think, as you saidBassetluv, they would be better off to have a registration/spaynueterrequirement. That would have the same effect. I just cant imagine themgoing into someones home, taking their rabbit, and having it put down.That is just horrible.

I agree, they would be better off to introduce aspay/neuter incentive program and up the fines for any domestic animaldumped in the wild and perhaps offer a reward for anyone who reportsseeing someone do it. That way it should encourage people NOT to dothat.

Yeah,i have known aboutthis for a few years now(my brother lives in Queensland)

There was a member on an Australian rabbit list one day,she was fromQueensland and she was desperate to rehome her bunny,if they find youwith a pet bunny they will fine you that $30,000 plus they will put thebunny to sleep..how awful is that!,

so the members put something together and got that little bunnytransported interstate,but what scares me is the people that do have abunny in secret and the poor thing gets sick,the owner cannot take itto the vet to seek treatment,because the vet willdob theminto the authorities

cheryl

I understand why they want to ban them but itsstupid your allowed rabbits pretty much everywhere else in Aus andthere arn't giant fences across each state so of course if rabbitsbreak loose they could still end up in queensland. Further more if youra magician your allowed a rabbit, so all people who want rabbits inqueensland become a magician!
And if anyone tried to take Bangbang away from me, I would declare war on their ***
Oh yeah petition signed and some

oh yeah one more point, cats do as much damage as rabbits! Oh and don't forget HUMANS the biggest ferral pest of them all

Latest posts

Back