Foods in moderation?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sooze247

Reaction score
So this is kinda of silly question but I am curious. When a food is suppose to be feed in moderation what exactly does that mean? I buy my bunny Kale about once or twice a month but just one bunch. After I buy it though I will give him a big leaf of it every night for about 5 or 6 nights until it is gone but then he doesn't eat it again for a few weeks. It is bad to be giving it to him for a few nights in a row. Also same with cabbage my bunny loves it and I use to buy it all the time until about 6 months ago when I learned that it could give them gas and since I learned that I have stopped buying it but he loved it so I want to give it to him. So same question with cabbage if I buy him a head of cabbage can I give it to him for a week straight? Produce is hard it doesn't keep for long so after you buy it you have to use it up.

Rabbit Nutrition mentions that some oxalates can be in soluble forms & others not & which it is depends on lots of factors. Only the soluble forms can cause kidney stones. But as oxalates don't do any good, they probably should be avoided.

Calcium is [in effect] neutralized by potassium, so that's one of the reasons kale is ok.

Remember Moderation is the key! As much as Dobby LOVES Brussell sprouts, it does give him gas pains. I do give him just a tiny bit once in a while with no harmful affects.

As long as you watch the affects of any veggie or fruit, a little taste will not hurt.

K :)

OneTwoThree wrote:
Kale is fine. Foods like parsley and spinach are high in oxalates, which can be tough on a bunny but isn't always. Here's my go-to source- http://rabbit.org/care/veggies.html

Thanks for the link. I really like that website but had never seen the food breakdown that you linked me too. So many websites out there have so much conflicting information it's nice to have one place to go to that seems very trusted

Back