FOOD

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ae3

Reaction score
...The other day I went shopping and I boughtthis cereal its like puffed millet? and i used to feed millet to mybirds.. but i was wondering if puffed millet would be okay for.. myrabbit and pigs. cus i fed a little to frankie and pierre, and theyreally liked it, and frankie like.. licked the bottom of his cage totry and get the little puffs. it tastes kind of like popcorn. yeah.thanks

I know people on the forum give their bunniescheerios as treats. I would not experiment on cereals because bread isnot good for bunnies, I read it somewhere.

I think popcorn is not bad for bunnies in smallamounts, some people were going to use it for christmas decorations onbunny cages. But I am not sure, so you'll have to wait for otherreplies.

I dont know but I buy that puffed milletfromArrowhead mills...its very good. My dutch rabbit likespasta but I heard it was bad to give rabbits anybreads/pastasoI stopped. Millet though, I'm not sure...its aseedand I know my vet said no sunflower seeds and corn.

One often hears of "seeds" of one type or anotherbeing contra-indicated for rabbits, but I, and others, feed blacksunflower seeds to our outside rabbits in small amounts during thewinter because its high fat content contributes to maintaining thebuns' metabolic temperatures in the inclement weather.

Black sunflower seed, therefore, is considered to be a "hot feed" andis not generally fed in the summer because of its ability to stoke themetabolism of buns. Perhaps, that is why the veterinarianadvised against its use. I am of the impression that theseeds in fruits, such as pear and apple, may be inadvisable to give torabbits. I know not why. I cannot speak to millet.

Buck

the seeds in some fruits actually contain a tinybit of poison..apple seeds contain a cyanide compound, and peach pitsas well. although a human would have to eat a HUGE amount ofapple seeds to affect them ;) better safe thansorry with the buns i think since they're so tiny and more sensitive,and may not metabolize things the same way..

I am not sure about the puffed millet either, buti'm sure someone wil come up with an answer, maybe if you looked ingoogle at puffed millet and seen what came up and read about it a bitif you are worried (just an idea)

, btw I don't mean this in a nasty way but i found it hard to read yourpost with the ight pink words on white background, maybe if you madethe pink a bit darker or bolder? Please don't think I am being rude Ijust found it hard and had to highlight the words to read it.

Millet seeds are not like apple seeds, they donot contain cyanide. It's a common treat to feed birds spray milletwhich is obviously not puffed but if it's safe for birds to eat it isprobably not poisonous to rabbits. I will advise to feed it in limitedquantities seeing as how it is a seed and not a normal part of arabbits diet.

Latest posts

Back