food tug of war?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hope4peace

Reaction score
[font="Calibri, sans-serif"]Hi all, [/font]
[font="Calibri, sans-serif"]I am currently trying to bond two male rabbits, and have witnessed a behaviour that im not quite sure about.[/font]
[font="Calibri, sans-serif"]While having out time together in the living room, I fed them their salads, all in one big combined pile. (as I know eating is supposed to be a social thing for bunnies.) Hershey doesnt care much at all about puff bunny, as usual, hes just leisurely eating, taking a break, scooting around, eating. After his initial nomming session puff bun hops off to explore, but every time he sees hershey eating again, he hops back over and steals the food from hersheys mouth. Hershey will steal it back, they both end up taking turns eating the same peice one bite at a time. If hershey stops, puff bun hops away again, until he sees heshey eating again and the food tug of war starts all over again.[/font]
[font="Calibri, sans-serif"]To me this seems like a fight for dominance but there is no agressive actions by either of them.I know that rabiits will only eat if they feel comfortable so I know that they dont see eachother as a threat , but I dont know if I should be seeing this as a bad thing or not?[/font]

Maybe it would help if, at least for awhile, you cut the salad pieces so small that they can't both have the same piece in their mouths.

I have a bonded pair that will do this once in a while. Last night they got an apple slice each. They ate one together then ate the other together *shrugs* I have no idea why. They didn't seem upset so I didn't worry about it.

Latest posts

Back