Food Transitioning

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leowyldemi

Reaction score
so, i want to change stewie from the food he grew up on, which is expensive and full of such things as corn kernals, to a more nutritious and local brand.
what is the best way to do this? What i have started doing is mixing his old food with the new, gradually i will reduce the amount of old food until he is eating the new brand,is this the best way to do it?or will it upset his stomach and throw him off his feed?

Mixing the old and new food is best. Starting with a small amount of the new food helps avoid digestive issues. Gradually increasing the new while decreasing the old is best. It can take a few weeks to get them all on the new food.

You could remove the corn and other stuff from his food to help with the transition. Some rabbits will go for the yummy stuff and leave the more healthy things, so removing the tasty but bad stuff leaves on the healthy stuff.

No, that's how you should always change foods with rabbits. It's best to not make sudden food changes or it can sometimes cause digestive problems. I will usually transition to a new food over at least, a couple weeks. Just keep a close eye on his poop. If it gets mushy or really small, you may be transitioning to the new food too quickly.

will do! so far it's going pretty good, he's eating it, altho he is not happy with me removing his treats, no agressive behavior, just looking dissappointed and grumbling, but he eats it, slowly i'm going to phase out the old stuff

Back