Food Question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thatkiidsean

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I was watching (another) video on YouTube about this person feeding their rabbits greens in the morning and pellets at night. Is this too much food? Also, would the salad be too much in sugar, especially for the morning (and everyday)? I was reading the thread about safe greens, and I was wondering: which greens would be best for the buns on a regular basis?

:bunny18

there is much to said about about feeding pellets at a separate time then feeding other feeds.

I consider pellets to be a good base to the diet, and EVERYTHING else as treats. I know that diverges from what many others on this board espouse. But I have rabbits without gut issues, so it obviously works for me. :)

Safe greens... depends a bit on where you live and what you have available AND where you are collecting things.

I live in Ontario where you aren't allowed to spray unless you post it (in a public place) so as long as you are on your own land or picking in a public place it's pretty safe to pick your greens.

Greens that I feed my rabbits regularly that I pick from plants growing in the wild: timothy, alfalfa, plantain (common and narrow leaf), queen anne's lace (the plant NOT the flower), goldenrod, dandelion, prickly lettuce, various thistles, Various grasses.. ornamental as well as native species, native daisies, mustard, canola, mallow etc.

Plants that I cultivate: spinach, radish greens, turnip greens, corn plants, swiss chards, peas, sunflower, parsley, basil, oregano (not to pregnant/nursing does), bean plants, Some I cut regularly for them, others I give them after I've gotten what I want from the plants first (aka peas and beans).

Things I share with the rabbits: melon rinds, squash seeds, strawberry hulls, celery, carrots, apple cores, carrot tops, kiwi peel, banana peel, etc.

It's good to know the botanical names for things as what I might call plantain someone else might call an odd fruit that looks like a banana.

Romaine and Spinach shouldn't be too sugary, but Spinach is high in oxalic acid, which over time can lead to some bladder issues, so don't use it too heavily.

Unlimited timothy, pellets in moderation, and I believe around a cup or so of greens daily is what a lot of folks consider a fair baseline without overfeeding. My guys are all healthy lean weights on, depending on the size of the bun, 1/4 to 1/2c pellets, as much timothy as they want, and daily greens with occasional (once or twice a week) small amount of fruit/veg. Definitely no GI problems; I've got the sky-high rabbit poop compost to prove it. XD

I feed Alfy romaine, carrot tops, coriander, basil, mint, oregano, occasional spinach/ brocoli/ a piece of carrot. Her main veggie is romaine as she loves it. She has just over half her pellets in the morning and the rest with her greens in the evening. She suffered some tummy problems before going on this regular meal plan but ever since she has been fine and very happy :)

Ladysown--i give my bunnies pieces of apples too, but I've always heard that apple seeds are poisonous. That might be something to check on. I'll try to remember to see if I can find an answer on that tomorrow when I am more awake. It would be great to be able to give them that to gnaw on.

Back