Food Pellet Question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kherrmann3

Reaction score
For those of you who feed your rabbits pelleted food, I have a question. Here is goes...

What is it about pelleted food that is so delicious?

I mean, my rabbits go absolutely CRAZY in the morning for their pellets. While getting the food to their bowls, I have had my hand nudged, boxed, crawled on, bitten, and "tackled". I have had a rabbit almost run up my arm for the pellets! I have even had the food scoop grabbed/knocked from my hand while feeding. Once fed, they sit there, crunching away in total bliss. Toby even makes his happy grunts/squeaks while eating his pellets. I mean, he does this with his salad, too, but what makes pellets so darn tasty?

I'm sorry if it's a dumb question, but I am really curious. Today, Toby jumped into his water dish and got soaked because he was in his early-morning food craze. I just don't get it!

Any hypothesis that you can come up with is appreciated! Thanks in advance! :biggrin2:

lol!

Mine have been fed the same old Oxbox BBT for the last few months. I think that's all I ever fed Sammi. It's not like they can be THAT hungry, either. Around 9pm they get their salads, have unlimited hay all night/day, then get their 1/6 cup of pellets around 5-6am. They shouldn't be that hungry! :shock:

I don't know to be honest because I think it tastes rubbish.

I dunno, ours tastes pretty good, it's nice having a snack close at hand. Also it drives lucy insane to see me grabbing a bite!

Yeah mine also go stir fried crazy for there pellets, I think it is just because they have all the nutrition they need well the should have all the nutrition they need!

Mine too! And the shelter bunnies! Actually, at the shelter, the rule is that you have to feed everybody as soon as you get there so they don't start fighting each other. There are guinea pigs too that are crazy about the pellets--the second I open the door, it's "wheek wheek wheek!!" I have to give my own guys theirs in separate bowls because Tony won't let Muffin put her flat little Holland face in there with his. Frida and Ben don't act that way though... :shrug:

tonyshuman wrote:
Mine too! And the shelter bunnies! Actually, at the shelter, the rule is that you have to feed everybody as soon as you get there so they don't start fighting each other. There are guinea pigs too that are crazy about the pellets--the second I open the door, it's "wheek wheek wheek!!" I have to give my own guys theirs in separate bowls because Tony won't let Muffin put her flat little Holland face in there with his. Frida and Ben don't act that way though... :shrug:
On note of your Muffin I went into the pet shop today and say a little REW lop with its head over the food bowl, God I just said look at that fatty with her head over the bowl!

mine too.
any morning that i put food in thumpers bowl he nudges my hand or pushes it away and sometimes he even grabs the scoop out of my hand and throws it
i dont understand how its so tasty to them i dont like it
sometimes i put a little of that lanatone stuff for small animals in his food and he likes it too

Well I am feeding the Purina Show formula and I think it's the smell of the alfalfa- my rabbits go crazy for it! Even my dogs want a taste when I feed the bunnies. I think it smells good.

paul2641 wrote:
tonyshuman wrote:
On note of your Muffin I went into the pet shop today and say a little REW lop with its head over the food bowl, God I just said look at that fatty with her head over the bowl!

Sounds just like my Muffin! I had never thought about face shape when selecting a bowl for bunnies until we got Ben (after Muffin). The rescue lady had been feeding him pellets out of an ashtray because his face was so flat it "looked like he had been chasing parked cars." It's true that these flat faced fluffers need wider, shallower bowls. Muffin looks hilarious when she tries to eat out of Tony's narrow, deep bowl. Such fluffy cheeks!

Bebe's face would be buried in the bowl of pellets even before I could set the bowl down in her cage. Pebbles would be reaching out from her cage almost falling out of it.

Both will bite my wife's hand because she takes too long to get their food to them. :biggrin2:

Well, I was brave enough to give the rabbit food a taste test. I almost threw up. I still don't have answers, but I do have a horrid taste in my mouth.

No, I didn't expect it to be delicious or anything, but I didn't expect it to taste so... Blah.

Mine go NUTS for their pellets. For the first year we had Tobi, she was a nibbler, and would take the whole night to finish her pellets. Now, she runs right up when it's pellet time.
Ben, too, didn't eat pellets for almost a month after we got him. Now he is up there at the dish at dinner time. I did just recently get him a new dish. The one I was loaned was narrow and tall, but I think he had a hard time getting his fat cheeks in there.

Nick and Amelia have always loved their pellets. They get so excited, and will both stick their faces into the bowl before the pellets go in. Sometimes, I will start pouring and their heads go in, and before I can stop, the pellets are bouncing off their little noggins. Other times, they will knock my hand with their heads, so the pellets scatter. Lately, Nick has started grunting at dinner time, he's so excited.

Toby makes little squeaky/grunty noises while eating. It's like he's getting too excited with his honking, so he does something different and just makes these happy squeaks. I will have to try and get it on camera (they get fed at approx. 5:00AM, so I'm not always on my "A-Game" lol)

I have these bowls for both bunnies. They are HUGE for them, but I find that their nightly salad fits in there well. The pellets don't even cover the bottom when they get them in the morning. They are pretty big, wide, and fairly shallow. The bunnies don't really try to tip them, either.

They're made by Super Pet. I don't know of other places you can buy them, but they carry them at Drs. Foster & Smith. I've also seen them at local pet supply stores, so they are probably in a lot of places. They also carry a radish and a carrot bowl. The radish is for hamsters, while the carrot is supposed to be for bunnies. It's not a very wide bowl, though (it's long, like a carrot). I could see an over-excited, fat-headed bunny getting their head stuck in it. The cabbage design is perfect for the little flat-faced cuties!
IL61842_99.jpg

Saudade wrote:
I dunno, ours tastes pretty good, it's nice having a snack close at hand. Also it drives lucy insane to see me grabbing a bite!

LOL! When I was a child I used to eat our dog's biscuits. I haven't tried pellets yet.

I don't know why they go so nuts over them. Mine are the same way.

When I tried the pellets, I felt all of the moisture in my mouth go away. It was like the pellets sucked my mouth dry! I believe it, considering when you accidentally get water in a bunny's food bowl, the water isn't there for very long. The pellets turn spongy. :p

Latest posts

Back