Food For Thought

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyBabyBunnies

Reaction score
Yesterday I collected all my bunnies' bowls andand put them into the sink to wash and my mom immediately tells me touse an old cloth that needs to be washed, or use a paper towel to washthe dishes and to put the towel I use to dry the bowls into the washright after because I used it for the animals. I started thinking,what's the big deal? When I dry it, it's already thoroughly clean andwhen I wash it, it's no different than food and stuff coming off.

So I confronted my mom about it and she says it touches theirdroppings, which is true, but think for a minute. My bunnies sit in thegarden during the winter and their droppings fall to the ground. Whathappens when my dad rototills the next spring? It all gets mixed intothe garden along with the horse manure he sometimes uses. My mom has noproblem just pulling a carrot out, putting it in some cold water,rinsing the dirt off and putting the carrot in her mouth nor does shehave a problem washing a bucket that my dad put the dirty carrots intoto bring them in the house in the sink and wash it with any normalcloth without a second thought.

But is it really any different? I think some people just seem a bit over cautious sometimes. (Don't mean to offend anyone!)

Lol, I've shared my breakfast with my animals onmore than one occasion, and finished off a piece of toast straightafter Blade has pulled some off, the cheeky bugger! I wouldn't bescared to eat out of their bowls; they're clean, and (disgustingly)I've lost count of the amount of times my dog has eatenmylunch from my plate, which I've washed and used again. Itmakes no difference I think - if I was going to catch anything fromthem, I would have by now!

Linz x

Maybe I just think differently from everyone else. ;)Or perhaps my problem is that I think too much! lmao. :p

I wont get into my stories... they involve a barn and barns can get pretty dirty!

My dirty barn stories could probably topeveryone's! :)) Wedo need to be clean.....sort of...but I think that some peopledoget over cautious.

- Dolores

I know what you mean, I mean there is a limit! Weneed to be careful, but I just find it almost silly how some peopledon't see the big picture.

My barn stories might be enough to gross a few people out! Of course, Iwas young and dumb. ;)I've been dumped in the manure pile,rolled around in a clean stall, but still, you can't clean everythingoff of rubber mats! Especially when there isn't enough shaving to soakeverything up. I've slept in a stall and on a very filthy floor in theviewing area (despite that we cleaned it daily, dust goes everywhereafter a few lessons) so just imagine all the things I swallowed thosenights. And after a while, washing your hands is pointless so we endedup eating with dirty hands after mucking all the stalls, getting horsesfor the farrier or vet, sweeping the isles, riding, etc.

Ya, if my parents only knew half the stuff we did!

I completely agree with your mother that rabbit dishes should not be washed in the kitchen sink . . .

I most certainly would not want to risk getting human germs on my bunny dishes :D

Pam

pamnock,

Funny you should say that! I normally use paper towel to wash mybunnies dishes anyways. Why? Because cloths can hold so many germs andI'm much more picky about the cleanliness of their stuff than I am withmy stuff. Go figure.

MyBunnyBoys wrote:
pamnock,

Funny you should say that! I normally use paper towel to wash mybunnies dishes anyways. Why? Because cloths can hold so many germs andI'm much more picky about the cleanliness of their stuff than I am withmy stuff. Go figure.

I was eating a carrot yesterday and had a half left, so I put it inChernish's food bowl. When he found it he started thumping. I wonderwhy? Maybe he was offended that it had my smell on it. He ate it anyway.

Wait, we're supposed to wash out our bunnie's dishes?? :shock:

Just kidding!!!

I wash the rabbit's bowl in the sink with a paper towel. My sink isfairly clean, as I daily use antibacterial spray in it. Not on anythingof the rabbit's, of course, but like Pam said, they don't need ourhuman germs!

Latest posts

Back