food for babies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharjay

Reaction score
My 6 new little bundles of joy who are now 3 weeks of age are all deciding to eat what mum eats. I have done some research and have found that vege's and grass is not good or recomended for rabbits under 12 weeks of age. Mine are eating everything I put in the cage for mum. Can someone tell me is this correct? I dont want to stop feeding the doe her fresh vege's as she needs as much as she can get as she is feeding the bubs. They are eating everything from dry food to grass, carrots and celery.

Sharleen

http://rabbit.org/faq/sections/diet.html

* Birth to 3 weeks--mother's milk
* 3 to 4 weeks--mother's milk, nibbles of alfalfa and pellets
* 4 to 7 weeks--mother's milk, access to alfalfa and pellets
* 7 weeks to 7 months--unlimited pellets, unlimited hay (plus see 12 weeks below)
* 12 weeks--introduce vegetables (one at a time, quantities under 1/2 oz.)

You may need to feed mom away from the babies. She probably would enjoy getting a break from them, anyway. :)

My baby H.Lops are also starting to eat Timothy hay and a small bit of pellets (they're a little over 3 weeks)..of course, if I let them, they'd eat the greens that mom does, but I noticed runny poops so she gets fed her greens in a separate area...I have to also do the same for the 9 week old bun...they ALL love the greens, but now only the adults get them for the time being, and the 9 week old gets a very small piece only if his droppings are firm.:p

Thanks for your replies looks like mum will have some time out sessions:). Greedy little buggers they are.

Sharleen

Latest posts

Back