Food brand?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunBun Mom

Reaction score
Now, That I found a place where there's lots of bunny parents, I have to ask what brand of food do you feed?

Benny started out on Kaytee Fiesta and then I read it wasn't that greatof a food b/c of the colored peices. Well, the color pieces is allhe'll eat. He gets his veggies and hay also. For the the past threeyears, I've been trying to switch his food to the pellet only. Herefuses to eat anything else. I've tried several kinds many times. Mypig eats Oxbow so last time I order, I got the smallest bag of theirbunny food. He still wouldn't eat it. I kind of gave of for awhile butnow that I have Blossom, I might try again b/c she eats a pellet onlyfood in addtion to hay.

I guess, I'm wondering what kind ya'll feed and how long he can go without any eating that kind of food?

dont give him anything but pellets w/o coloredpieces. the ones you get at a feed store are best. trust me,if he has nothing else, in a day or two he WILL eat the pellets andforget the junk. I feed purina

Purina.

Bunbunmom, Liz is right - they will go hungry for a few days, buthunger will win out in the end. My rabbit hated the Purinaand refused to eat it for days, but now he gobbles it up like candy.

I feed my bun Purina. I get it at the localPurina farm outlet and its fresher and better quality than anything Icould find in the stores around here. Cheaper too!
He loves the purina. I can use it as treats because he just goes nuts over it.

I agree that if you give him a pellet-only variety along with some hay,he'll probably stop being so stubborn after a few days and start to eatthe new stuff. As long as he's still getting hay he'll be alright if hedoesn't eat any pellets for a day or two.

I went to the vet and I asked him which brandswere better, he said he prefers the colored ones, has lots of vitamins,after this bag of colored pallets, should I switch to the ones with onecolor only or can I keep the same, my buns are about 2.5-3 months old,and I feed them Alfa and Timothy hay as well, Thanks!

HEY HEY HANG ON! you went to a VET who told youthe ones with the colored ones were better! SO WHAT coming from a vetdoesn't mean anything. those ones are NOT better! not only are thecolored pieces nutritionless but the rabbit will eat them only,generally, AND the pellets themselves are BAD, without the correctnutrients or amount of protien and fiber. pellets from a petstore are not good.

oh, paulo, i didn't notice that you had asked aquestion...yes, switch, but gradually...switching quickly can give themdiareah. the timothy hay is good but alfalfa is unneccesary(sorry can't spell tonight) and can be harmful if feeding a goodpellet.:)

Cool, thanks, I have timothy for my older bun(just about a week older lol, but way bigger than neo) and i have alphafor neo, i heard it helps them grow, anyway, so do you know a goodnutriesient pallet food that i can give to my buns, from PetSmart ? Ifanyone can give a pic of a good one that would be great, thanks!

I am starting to switch Apollo to the Purina.

my buns are about 2.5-3 months old, and I feed them Alfa andTimothy hay as well, Thanks! I would go ahead and feed thehay mix until they are full grown. Once they are full grown you have todrop the Alfalfa because it has too much protein for adult bunnies.

Switch the pellets slowly ok. It usually takes two weeks to amonth to switch. They may not like the healthy food at first and that'sok. Just keep adding a little more at a time and they will eatit.

Tina

Paulo wrote:
I went to the vet and I asked him which brands were better, hesaid he prefers the colored ones, has lots of vitamins, after this bagof colored pallets, should I switch to the ones with one color only orcan I keep the same, my buns are about 2.5-3 months old, and I feedthem Alfa and Timothy hay as well, Thanks!

:shock: maybe you should start looking for a new vet....

Here's an article I found about some different brands of pellets http://www.carrotcafe.com/f/brands.html

i have never heard of most of the brandsmentioned in that article, and most of the name brands or qualitybrands, at least among fanciers were not mentioned.one other thing i disagreed with:
Purina Mills also has show and woolformulas,which I do not recommend for healthy house rabbits. Both of these arevery high in protein and energy and low in fiber.
The purina "blue" or show feed IS low in protien and high in fiber,that's what show rabbits need. i dont know about the woolformula. now the purina gray, or developer feed for breedingrabbits (heck, what do they call it, i can for some reason neverremember) is high in protien, since thatswhatrabbits in production need.

I agree its not the best article, butunfourtunatly I can't find much info out there on the comparison ofdifferent brands. :? It's a decent starting point though, and helpsmake people aware of the importance of proper nutrition which is why Ithought I'd post it.

Also, what do people think about timothy-based pellets vs alfalfa basedpellets? Do you think there really is that much of a difference?

to be honest, i have never SEEN a bag of timothypellets, so i wouldn't know what the nutrition facts were...but itwould seem to me that the best feed would be alfalfa based, since afteryears of experts researching feed, it is the alfalfa that "stuck" andis most commonly used.

I feed my rabbit Wagg bunny food, it hascoloured pellets in it plus the normal pellets. Although he can befussy with his food he tends to eat a bit of everything from his bowl,and there's a mixture left at the end of the day (no matter how much orhow little I give him!)

In the past he's favoured the coloured pellets, but I've just left hisfood with the bits left in the bottom and eventually he eats them. So Idon't have a problem using this kind of rabbit food, as long as yourrabbit gets enough of everything! :)

I don't know if it is a UK thing or not, but Ihave trouble finding just pellets. They either are nuggets or the mixedflakes with pellets. Wagg is good Sophie as it is fortified withvitamins and the like and like you said does have the pellets in. Iactually did look around and compare rabbit mix with some reallyexpensive nuggets and nutritionally the mix was better then thenuggets. So I have never bothered with nuggets.

People in US is the pellets you get especially for rabbits? I have found pellets before but they are tiny little things.

I give my rabbits mix (you'll all probably bash me for saying that),but at the end of the day my rabbits eat the pellets that are in thereand the ones I give aren't fancy colours the only colour they have isthe green, which reading is actually flaked peas. I always thought itwas cabbage:?. Ingredientsin mine is, Flaked peas, flakedmaize, grass pellets, pellets, flaked wheat, extruded wheat, locustbean, soya oil, vitamins and minerals. I give unlimited hay,waterand hardly ever treats.

I know my rabbits are healthy and happy so if I offend anyonebysaying I givethem mix thensorry. Why isit that people are so quick to shout at peopleandcriticizebecause they aren't as perfect as them. Ifmixis so bad for a rabbits then why sell it at all. At theend of the day it is what my local stores sell and when you don't havea car, then you are limited to how far you can travel. If I amneglecting my rabbits then like I said I am sorry. You are all now freeto Vickie bash..........

Vickie

I feed my rabbitsa brand of food called'Russel Rabbit', i havent really seen much else other than shops ownbrands, do they have have different foods here or somehting? I alsofeed my guinea pigs, 'gerty guinea-pig' and i feed my gerbils 'gerrygerbil' food, lol!

Leanne

DaisyNBuster wrote:
Leanne, I don't know if there is a Wilkinsons hardware storenear you, but if so 'Russel Rabbit' is buy one get one free at themoment.

Vickie
And 'Wagg' bunny food!! :D

You can even find packs with a free pack of beetroot treats inside, notthat my rabbit liked them... He gave them one sniff and looked at me asthough I were crazy :p

DaisyNBuster wrote:
You are all now free to Vickie bash..........

Vickie

No one's free to Vickie bash. :X

Thank you for sharing, Vickie. I know how much you love yourcharges and that you'd never do anything to put them at risk.At the end of the day, one can only do the best they can with what theyhave available to them.

BunBunMom,

I bumped a post back entitled "Pick your pellet". Members tell what brands they use in that thread.

-Carolyn

Latest posts

Back