Food Bowls

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicolevins

Reaction score
Recently my dog Tyson broke the rabbits food bowl. I bought another ceramic bowl so they cant knock it over.. The bowl was 10 euro which I taught was a bad price. I didnt wanna get a plastic one incase the rabbits tried to eat it -like my hamster always used to do :p

Anyway, my little cousin bought swwets in the shop today and they were in a plastic container about the size of an average rabbit bowl! It is about 4 inches. It is all see through plastic. There is a top on it but i would probably just throw that out anyway

I was thinking of using it for treats or hay or some veg! :)

Would it be safe for them?
What if they eat it?

From experience from my rabbits, they like to chew and toss plastic around. Bowls, containers, etc. You can use it for his side of hay or veggies, but dont be surprised if it becomes his toss or chew bowl too.

IMHO, Pet food bowls are ridiculously expensive! Do you have a dollar store (or similar)where you live? They often sell ceramic cat dishes for a dollar or two which are about the right size for bunny bowls. Also, what about local thrift or second hand shops? I found all three (one for greens, one for pellets, one for water) ceramic food dishes for Gus at thrift shops. I paid $1 each for the two and .50 cents for the third. So, no, it doesn't have to be pet specific, any kind of dish we humans would use will work, so long as it's the right size--and price. ;)

Hope that helps!

Rue

Thanks! Never though of that. We have the pound shop here which really should be called the 'euro shop' :p

I will have a look, but in the pet area they only have plastic dog bowls.. I might check the hardware store for some cheap stuff because they sell LOTS of stuff :)

If I'm low on bowls, I often use plastic ''lunch box'' type containers that come when I order Chinese food. Work great and are free. They have never tried to chew them.

Yup, if its sold in the pet store, it`s usually a ridiculous price :p
Thick plastic seems to do OK at my house (like, laundry bottle caps)... thin plastic like margarine containers are murdered pretty quickly :D

The soup bowl idea works pretty good for me too. If you get a really big mug for soup with handles, you can easily anchor that to their cage with zipties.

NorthernAutumn wrote:
The soup bowl idea works pretty good for me too. If you get a really big mug for soup with handles, you can easily anchor that to their cage with zipties.

Ihave the Campbell's soup bowls with handles that I use as water bowls for my bunnies. ;)

Another inexpensiveidea for food bowls isusing empty cans, that you can punch a hole in the side of the canand wire it to the cage. :wiggle

Hey, Nicole! I had an idea for you, if its not TOO late. I would cut some holes in it turn in over so the mouth of the bowl is on the ground & stick some hay on the inside, pulling hay through the holes. This MIGHT deter buns from chewing on it as they are occupied with the hay. Even if they do chew it up, at least it was something new for a while! Happy bunnying!:bunnydance:

Latest posts

Back