Food and Other Necessities

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p.popps

Reaction score
What kind of food should I get for a bunny that I am about to get. I am a first time bunny owner and I don't know that much about how to make my bunnies life a good one. Are there certain toys or tricks to keeping a bunny happy? Please let me know!

How old will the rabbit be when you get him/her? While growing, rabbits should get unlimited alfalfa pellets & either alfalfa or grass [timothy etc] hay. I forget the age that greens can be slowly introduced. Adult rabbits get timothy pellets & grass hay. The hay remains unlimited; the pellets are limited, based on the amount of daily greens.

You can get more information from the library section.

Regarding food, usually you will get a supply of food to start with. What the bunny is used to. Some stick with that pellet brand. Others don't.

How old will your bunny be when you pick it up? Young bunnies 8 weeks til 6 months will do well on an alfalfa based pellet. If your bunny is older than 6 months, they do well with timothy based pellets. Alfalfa based pellets is more rich and will make an older bunny have weight issues.

Hay, could be Timothy Hay, Orchard Hay, and if between 8 weeks til 6 months alfalfa hay. Again watch alfalfa, it can give older bunny weight issues.

Toys, I use toilet paper rolls filled with hay, cardboard and phone books just to dig on and pull apart, and have an x-pen to let them stretch their legs.

Tricks, treats do good for bribes used to help bonding. I don't really give treats until 6 months so I usually spend time sitting with them, reading or talking to them so that they get to know my voice.

Hope this helps! Good Luck bringing your new bunny home! Let us know how it goes.

K:)

Latest posts

Back