Food aggressive

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katrina Taylor

Reaction score
Hi all.
I have recently adopted a 4 year old male giant continental rabbit. No issues picking him out of his cage only tries to bite when being fed. Not so much of an issie apart from when he managed to get me this morning (ouch). Did try to have him done last week but he reacted to the anaesthetic and stoppes breathing so very hesitant to do that again.
Any idea on how to alleviate this please?
Usually very affectionate
Thank you

Hi there, have recently rescued a couple of buns and not knowing them at all found that one was quite aggressive when I put my hand in to feed her. I am not fully sure why this is , but did get some advice from a woman at a rescue centre who said if this happens, just quietly , but firmly hold your finger down on his head, just keeping his head still while you reach in for the bowl. As you hold his head down , he feels that he may be getting a bit of grooming, but it also steadies him in his food anxiety, and after a while he will stop jumping or lunging at you . This worked for me. Rabbits do get food anxiety, and they just need a little distraction as you place the food in.

Ah never thought of that hes fine to pick up and stoke. Will try that .
Thanks Nancy :)

Great, thanks rose gonna give that a try today. Dealt with this in dogs but never rabbits. Thank you so much x

Back