Flower's breed?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maherwoman

Reaction score
Now that my Flower is all grown up, and a little lady, I thought maybe I would try again in asking her possible breed mix. She's approx 10lbs right now (judging by Trixie's almost 9lbs, and the fact that Flower is a little bit noticably bigger). Her eyes are brown, with the right one half ice-blue.

Here are a few pictures.

452hiz5.jpg

2vtrwx5.jpg

4br0g1s.jpg

And to show the stripe on her back better...
3z20dq1.jpg

Any ideas?

As far as my own ideas, in looking at the New Zealand breed, I thought between her ears and basic stature (and weight) that she might be a mix with that and possibly an English Spot?

Hehe...if so, I believe she would qualify. :)

I make no bones about agreeing that my girls are cute. ;)

Edit: Can you believe someone actually got bored and put her outside in an itty bitty cage to die?? :shock: I took one look at her, and fell in LOVE!! I don't know how anyone could see different...

Wait! What! I didn't know that!They guy in charge of are complex has two rescueddogs. One went through the same as flower the otherwas left in the woods tied to a tree.

Yep...my girl was a forgotten Easter bunny...she was six weeks old when my neighbor decided she wasn't worth anymore trouble.

The thing that steamed me most was the fact that she was all stinky from the lake of urine and feces she'd been forced to live in (she had urine scalding on her legs, and her fur was so awefully stained), and the guy put her outside and cleaned his house...and didn't care a whitabout her and her cage being all dirty. :X

I just can't believe someone could ignore a face like that...I sure can't!!

She was in this tiny hamster cage, too...and had stuffed herself on a ledge that was in the cage to get herself out of the urine.No food, no water, just pee, poop, and some old iceburg lettuce in the pee lake. :X

Thankfully, she's been able to fully recover...but I don't think she's ever going to forget having to live like that. The lady at the shelter that checked her out (the vet wasn't open) said she wouldn't have lived another week. When she told me she wasn't a dwarf (like we were hoping, given that she was so tiny), but was in fact six weeks old...I started crying right there in front ofher. I couldn't help myself...it was so horrible.

I made sure to mention to the guy when I saw him again that she's now big, and beautiful, and in a HUGE CAGE. I haven't seen him since.I think he avoids me. As well he SHOULD!! I even called Animal Control to see if I could file a complaint against him, but seeing as he gave her to me willingly, they said there was no longer a case against him. But, believe me, I keep an eye on him...and so does my husband!! :X

I'm so thankful for my baby girl, though...she's wonderful...and so sweet!! :D

I didn't realize Flower weighed that much!

Check this out:

http://centralpets.com/photos/mammals/rabbits/photo_rbt1450.html

This is the Blanc de Hotot, not the Dwarf Hotot. It says they weigh 7.5 to 10 pounds.

Keep in mind that I don't know much about breeds. She'd obviously be mixed with something else to get the colored markings.

I'm sure Pam can tell you for sure.

There's no way to tell for certain and its hard to venture guesses without being able to feel the coat. For example, the Blanc de' Hotot and the New Zealand both have fly back coats.We could rule out some other breeds that have roll back coats, but I can't tell from the photo.

The 1/2 blue eye indicates either the Dutch marking gene (the Blanc de'Hotot has the Dutch geneO). The 1/2 blue eye could also indicate the vienna marking gene (BEW). Not a common gene in larger breeds, but the rare Beveren does have that gene.

Another unusual gene to see in the larger breeds is the non-extension gene that is producing the tort coloring on Flower. The Cinnamon is one of the larger tort colored breeds, but itisrather rare. (I judged a few this weekend) Any large red breeds would also have that gene (New Zealand red, Red Satin)

Flower has more of a commercial looking type, rather than the narrow, longer type of the English Spot (which is also slightly smaller than Flower).

If Flower has a rollback coat, I'd guess there is probably some Lop influence.Lops generally have softer, looser skin than the commercial breeds.

So, with all these factors, you can see that it's hard to venture a guess, especially without seeing the rabbit in person.

Pam

Ah, thank you!

Now, how can I tell you which kind of coat she has? What's the difference between the two?

She most certainly does have some lop influence...since her ears started to lop when she was a baby and we first had her (but only the first quarter of the ear flopped, and only for a few weeks, and haven't done so since). She has the exact same kind of feel to her fur as Trixie, if that says anything. So soft, you almost can't feel it, and very thick.

Edit: the coloring around her eyes ranges from light gray to brown and then to that honey color you see in the stripe on her back.That's tort, right? Her back stripe is ONLY the honey color, though.

maherwoman wrote:
Ah, thank you!

Now, how can I tell you which kind of coat she has? What's the difference between the two?

She most certainly does have some lop influence...since her ears started to lop when she was a baby and we first had her (but only thefirst quarter of the ear flopped, and only for a few weeks, and haven't done so since). She has the exact same kind of feel to her fur as Trixie, if that says anything. So soft, you almost can't feel it, and very thick.

Edit: the coloring around her eyes ranges from light gray to brown and then to that honey color you see in the stripe on her back.That's tort, right? Her back stripe is ONLY the honey color,though.

Yes - it's tort. From your description, it sounds like shehas a rollback coat. The rollback coat is softer and much thicker than the flyback coat which has more guard hairs and lies flater.

From her coloration, it's likely that both parents were broken in color.

I'd be inclined to say from your description of the fur, her color and size, that she's got a lot of lop influence in her background.

Pam

That's funny to me for a bunny to have a lot of lop influence, and not have loppy ears.

I wonder what on Earth the people that sold her to my neighbormust have mixed together to create her litter...I wonder if they even thought about it? They probably just bred a couple of white rabbits, or some such, trying to get white Easter bunnies...

Thank you very much for your help! :D

So, at the end of the day, even in having pictures of her all grown up, she's a mixture of something special and something sweet. :)

maherwoman wrote:
That's funny to me for a bunny to have a lot of lopinfluence, and not have loppy ears.

I wonder what on Earth the people that sold her to my neighbor must have mixed together to create her litter...I wonder if they eventhought about it? They probably just bred a couple of white rabbits, or some such, trying to get white Easter bunnies...

It's not unusual to have purebred lops that don't have lopped ears LOL

Pam

Latest posts

Back