Flopsy got spayed

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Munchkin

Reaction score
Flopsy got spayed today and we just brought her home.
She looks so spaced out I feel sorry for her, but I know it's the best for her in the long run.

I've got vet bed for her, and am making her a run area beside the normal cage so she is contained but not in danger of attempted mounting by Moon, and given her a bowl of water, food.

So far she has weed and pooped once so I take it that means all is working as it should be?

Any tidbits of advie from rabbit owners who have been here already about what to do / not to do to help her mend faster?

Thanks guys x

did you get pain meds for her? i would just let her chill out for awhile. you did juuuuust bring her home! :)

she will be just fine. watch and make sure she is eating and drinking the way she normally does. i know neutering is a different process, but nemo was back to normal that night, and by the next day was just as rambunctious as ever!

flopsy will be just fine :):) hugs and kisses to her for being such a trooper!!!

Thanks for your reply :)

Yeah - my vet gives them pain meds. I checked before hand.

I have a male who was neutered too, but worry more about the girls because it's so much more invasive.

She's sitting in her litter tray now, still spaced out. I tried to get her on the vetbed but she is having none of it. Still got some spunk anyways!

I'm letting her rest now, just keeping an eye on her :)

poor little girl. i can't imagine i'd feel much like binkys and well....moving....if my body was so rudely invaded. flopsy will be back to her old self soon, and hopefully will not remember what happened!

i know that a popular veterinary general anesthetic is ketamine. i don't know if many vets use it anymore so i may just be talking out of my behind here, but if they do, ketamine is a dissociative. hopefully she just will not even remember what happened and she will think its just natural weird feeling or something.

does that make sense?

I'm so pleased Flopsy made it through the surgery. :D

I'd just keep things quiet and peaceful for her until she's brightened up a bit. Those are great signs that she's been to the toilet, has she ate or drank anything?

Hoping she can make a speedy recovery! :)

That makes perfect sense actually. :)

Thanks Michaela! She drank some water and stuck her nose in the new hay I got from dustfreehay.co.uk - its fantastic by the way, and they delivered to NI a huge bale of hay in a hessian bag for £25, in case you are ever looking!

Aside from that she is toileting no problem from what I can see but no interest in pellets yet, although that is to be expected I guess.

I'm so glad she came through ok - I trust my vet but that fear is always in the back of your mind. She was so loving this morning when I dropped her in too - totally out of character for her heh! The vet reckons she might become more friendly now her hormones will die down - I hope so because she is a big fluffy lump I could squeeze to bits!!

:biggrin2:

I'll try and take a pic tonight actually - quietest she has ever been, I should capture the moment!

100_2215.jpg

aww I know that look- thats the "Im spaced out from the anesthetic" look :biggrin2:

As others have mentioned, your main concern is eating/pooping so its good shes doing that. They are usually pretty quiet for the first 24-48 hours. I like to give them someplace to hide and keep things peaceful. Offer her some of her favorite veggies and let her relax a bit.

Id also keep an eye on her mate to be sure hes not being too rowdy with her. Most likely he will just comfort her as she recovers.

Sounds like youre doing everything right so far. Keep her cage clean, make sure shes eating/pooping etc and she should be on her way to a speedy recovery :)

Lol Haley- we call it the "Did the ketamine wear off yet becausetheworldis spiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnniiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng?" look.

Flopsy certainly is a floppy eared rabbit. Lovely bunnehs!

Good look with her recovery. Most females recover really well after spays.

She has the most expressive ears I have ever seen on a rabbit you know - they go every which way and even shrug when she has done something wrong ;)

She is still quiet today - sitting under the dining room table but she is pooping and peeing with no problem as far as I can see.

Moon is only allowed around her when I'm in the room - otherwise they can see each other but he is locked in his NIC cage, and she is contained in a huge run that goes along one side of the room. Like you say - he seems to know something is up with her, and wants to comfort her initially, then he'll go off and leave her to rest. He's a real sweetheart! Last night he came and laid at my feet nudging me for attention because she was sleepy.

Fingers crossed the cheeky monster Flopsy will be back to her normal self by this time tomorrow! :biggrin2:

Aww! That's a great picture, haha, I love the expression in her face!

Hope she gets herself feeling back to normal again soon.

What an awesome bunny slave you are :highfive:

Thank you! I just read about your dramas today and so very glad you got your buns back. What a nightmare for you :(

Flopsy went back for her checkup today so the vet could remove her stitches. There was only 1 small dog in the waiting room so I took her out and she sat on my knee good as gold (pretty sure it was more down to fear than love but I take what I can get!)

The wound looks like its healing well and she is back to her old self again - flicking me off in disgust as soon as we got home. I love her to bits even if its not mutual ;)

Poor thing! I hope she feels much better soon!

Bo came home and slept for a day - I know does sometimes sleep a couple of days.

Latest posts

Back