Flooring for Outdoor Rabbit Hutches

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

massie777

Reaction score
I have a few rabbit hutches that are just wood bottoms, most of the rabbits in them are litter box trained but they sometimes have accidents. Wondering what people with outdoor hutches use on wooden bottom floors that the urine doesn't get under.

I tryed linoleum squares once but when the urine got under it just pooled there and then they peeled off.

Thanks
mandy

I've had similar problems with small square of linoleum. I got larger chunks of it and had the pieces with the litter box on it over the others so pee wouldn't run under. I've also seen people use stall mats for horses but then you may run into drainage issues if the pee gets between the cracks. Plus they're heavy and can be expensive...

In the future, I am planning on tiling all small pet surfaces. That's what we did for our guinea pigs. Jeff used one of those construction glues that adhere to all sorts of surfaces and then just glued them to the wood. We then used silicone to cover all the gaps and seams so urine cannot go through. If you do use tile, you need to keep in mind that it's a slippery and hard surface so you'd need to provide something else on top of it. I wouldjust use regular straw (though for the guinea pigs they have a wood pellet). They play with it, nibble at it, use it to nest, burrow in it, etc. Any accident can easily be cleaned up and the surface can be easily disinfected regularly and when needed. I'm not sure if it's an option, or something you think might work for you, but I thought I'd share. :)

Using glue with them rather than the self adhesive they come with works better, also one the piece stuff and then fitting wooden batons around the edge so there is no where for the edge to start peeling up.

Latest posts

Back