Flemish

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For Show Flemish Giant does have to weigh 14 pounds. HOWEVER there are so many things you need to take into consideration about the weight of a Flemish Giant.

1.) Breeding, did this doe come from a show line? From a nationally recognized breeder? If so then it is in her genetics to be bigger. If she came from a little backyard rabbitry she probably won't get over 15 pounds

2.) Feed - Quality diet means they will grow to be big and strong!

3.) Bone - yep bone, the bigger bone they have the bigger their frame is, so the more muscle they will have. If she is a small petite dainty little doe, she won't be very big. However, if she has big thick legs, and wide shoulders, and a wide backend, she will probably be up to 20 pounds

As far as the 34 pound thing, that is the rabbit on record. They won't get over 28. That is the biggest weight recorded here in the US.

Now Heres the important part. Just because flemish Giants can be 20 pounds DOES NOT MEAN THEY SHOULD ALWAYS WEIGH 20 POUNDS. Repeat that sentance, write it down 100 times, anything you can do so you will remember it. I can't tell you the number of people that I meet that have a Flemish Giant who should only be 15 pounds, as in thats how much they should weigh for their size, anything more than that would make them overweight, and they want to know how they can get their rabbit bigger. Their are many different sizes of Flemish Giants. The difficult part is trying to figure out what your rabbit should weigh. If you have a pedigree, average out the different weights and the average weight is probably what she should weigh.

If you do not have a pedigree, you can go by what she weighs at about 1-1 1/2 years of age. Flemish Giants can continue to grow until that age, so assuming she isn't already obese because of diet at one year of age that weight is what she should always be at.

Sorry for the lecture :soapbox and rant. its just very important because Overweight Flemish Giants can have So many health problems, and it would be easy to prevent if so many people didn't try to make their Flemish Bigger than what it already is. I mean really, isn't 14 pounds big enough;)

Flemishr2cool, do Flemish (and other giant breeds) require a different rabbit pellet than the typical small or medium breed rabbit? Do they need more protein and calcium or no? I'm just curious, I plan to own a Flemish or another giant breed rabbit when I get my next rabbit from a breeder.

Here is my Nimue:

277750934_lsds.jpg

This is him next to a normal 4lb rabbit

P6170056.jpg

My sister holding him again

NimueSize1.jpg

He topped at 22lbs, but is probably around 20lbs now, he had to go on a diet according to his vet, he wasnt too happy about that! :D

In spite of the fact he has access to food all the time (calf mana is in his food too) - Tiny has stayed around 15 or 16 pounds. I don't know if it is because he gets more exercise than a caged rabbit (he's free roaming and goes outside a lot) or if it is simply his genetics...

That's ok though - I adore my big guy anyway!

Peg

the only problem I have is possibly hurting your back picking the rabbit up out of the cage.do you have any trouble? My entire life I've always wanted a flemish the gentle giant of the rabbit world.(and like a huge stuffed animal or a dog LOL)

TinysMom wrote:
In spite of the fact he has access to food all the time (calf mana is in his food too) - Tiny has stayed around 15 or 16 pounds.

Is Tiny a Black Flemish Giant? Black and Blue Flemish Giants do not have as many devoted breeders as the other colors do. So many blacks and blues are smaller boned and therefore smaller rabbits. 15, 16 pounds is certainly and acceptable weight though.

there's a guy that has some sandy flemish,babies or adults.

and there sandy ones.very cute

it's about 2 1/2 hours away I'll have to try to get my mom to take me there.

Hmm imagine riding a rabbit. Watch out and hang on for binkies! :shock:

I'd love to get a flemish. if I did, I would make sure I'd get a baby that's been handled well so I get used to handling them as they grow and they become comfortable with h ow I hold ect. I'd be terrified to hold a big 15lb bunny for the first time!

Yes, Tiny is a black flemish giant.

I really don't mind that he is smaller - I love him just the way he is. At one point I had hoped he'd be a big bunny like others I'd seen - but bless his heart - I just keep thinking that maybe he'll have less of a health risk if he isn't as big.

But I don't try to limit his food or anything like that and he goes outside and eats grass a lot. He's actually pretty active sometimes....which I like.

Peg

flemishr2cool wrote:
TinysMom wrote:
In spite of the fact he has access to food all the time (calf mana is in his food too) - Tiny has stayed around 15 or 16 pounds.

Is Tiny a Black Flemish Giant? Black and Blue Flemish Giants do not have as many devoted breeders as the other colors do. So many blacks and blues are smaller boned and therefore smaller rabbits. 15, 16 pounds is certainly and acceptable weight though.

rabbit_whisperer wrote:
so I take it the white and sandy ones are the biggest.:)

Not neccesarily. Like flemishr2cool said, some colors don't have the devotion that others, like the sandies, have, so most of those ones will be smaller. If a color or breed isn't as popular, you won't have as many people working to improve it. I am going to try and get into steels myself, hopefully I will be able to get breeding stock from one of the top names in Flemish, the Clause's. They raise all of the colors, and have raised Flemish exclusively for many years.
When you decide to get a Flemish, there are a couple of things you have to keep in mind. It is possible to raise a Flemish on a wire floor without problems, if you make sure it has a large foot rest where it can sit to get a break from the wire. Also, if you do happen to have a Flemish that is really huge, as in the ones that are over 16 lbs or so, it is better to have it on a wood floor, partly because a wire floor won't always support their weight.

Flemishr2cool, I love that pic of the hare getting saddled! The first thing I thought was, even if the rabbit didn't binkie, you would still get whiplash just from it hopping! LOL

Latest posts

Back