Flemish giants.. I am so shocked!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michellexgix

Reaction score
I got a little flemish giant girl today, shes only 8 weeks old and is blue. But she is so so calm and relaxed.

After me taking her away from her mummy and siblings, taking her in the long car journney home, puttin her in her cage, getting used to my dogs barking and alll the loud noises in my house she is still sooo calm and relaxed..

I had her on my lap, she hopped on to the coffee table and lied down on the newspaaper, then every so often she comes over to me and climbs on my lap, and now as I type this she is on my arm rest lying down.. WOW! I am completely shocked at there personality..

Oh my shes sitting on my shoulder :p

my jersey wooly was the same way when i brought him home. he came from a breeder who socializes her babies very well. my three year old, my dog, my cats- nothing phased him! my flemish giant came to me when he was a little bit older, and hadn't had much handling. it took him a while to warm up, but now he's a crazy, friendly guy. so i think a lot of it has to do with the socialization they receive as babies, even more than breed. i'm glad your new little one is settling in so well! i'd love to see pics.

(edit- we just found out rue is actually a boy! lol)

Hehe, I keep calling this girl a boy because I'm so used to it with my three boys :p

She was well socialized, came from a home that they were handled alot so that explains it too.
My three boys aren't this relaxed as she is LOL.

I am in complete awe with her. Shes a dote, :)

Oh anyone here with a flemmie or a big breed, what do you bring them to the vet in?
Just for when I have to spey her, it wont be till september, but stil :p

All I can say is that socialized flemish giants ROCK.

Oh wait..I should know...I breed them and socialize them!!!

Flemish are like that. We call them dog rabbits. LOL!

When I take mine somewhere I just but them in the front seat and they just lay there. If you need to put her in something you'll need a carrier that would fit a beagle.

Seeing her parents I will need a very big carrier, I do got aa big cat carrier but she will nott fit in it when shes older. I supose I could just carry her to the vets, but I think she would rather the carrier rather than handling her after her surgery. So I'll save up for one of the big dog ones so LOL.

Also this morrning she was on my brothers bed with us and we were watching telly, she was licking everything, she was licking us, our socks, the blankets, the two remote controls.. What does this mean?

It means that she loves you very much, and is licking anything that smells like you as if she was grooming you, and can be considered the highest form of bunny approvement. its a very good thing :)

The big rabbits especially need to be kept in a small space for a couple of days after a spey. A cat carrier may not seem comfortable, but it's good for them. There's a lot of internal pressure with rabbits that size. They can't really even be allowed to hop until they start healing.

Welcome to the Flemmie Lovers Club! It's huge -- like the rabbits!

sas : :apollo:

If you don't have a special travel cage for your big bunny, you can use a big plastic dog or cat carrier with a piece of carpet in it for them to sit on.

They should be okay for the ride if only for an hour or so.

You can practice putting them into the carrier for an hour or so each day so they can get used to it before actually travelling.

For really big bunnies, a cart with wheels to set the carrier on is good for that walk from the parking lot to the vet's office.

Have a good day!

Franco Rios

Thank you all so much for your advice.

I never knew that you have to be really strict on them hopping after the spey versus a smaller bun. I will be sure to do that :) She can't be speyed till September(6months right?) So I have time to save up for a proper good carrier and for the spey itself.

The vet is only 15mins away from the house, so she won't be to long in the car anyhow but like someone said it will be useful after the spey. :)

My Vet prefers to spay larger rabbits earlier than smaller ones. My Flemish was about 5 months old when she was spayed. We use a carrier although she hates it. Sometimes I let her ride in the front seat in a basket when we are not going far away from home. She enjoys looking out when we are stopped otherwise she just sits in the basket.

I found that she was just as sweet asyou described on your first encounter too and just so brave around the dog.

We love this Rabbit! Everyday is an adventure. She seems to enjoy Thursdays for some reason...I think it is because my husband goes to work late on Fridays and she get extra treats in the morning. She also knows my days off and it quite demanding about getting extra time out of her bedroom. I hope you enjoy yours as much as we do!

Last time I took Benjamin to the vet to get his nails done, I took him in one of the bigger pet carriers. He had grown so much ( giant french lop - 15.5 pounds of mischief) we had to take the cage apart to get him safely out, doors on these things are just too small for these big guys. When we travelled at Xmas time to Alberta we put him in the top of a Xmas wreath box that took up the whole bucket seat in front and pulled it up tight to the dash so that the box won't move. May have to get him a medium dog carrier to pack him around in, maybe one with wheels would be a better plan as box and rabbit would be about 30 pounds.:biggrin: Glad I don't have to transport him often

I'm getting my girl spayed next week and she is 4 months. I was going to wait longer but believe me she is ready and so is everyone else, especially Dudley. I got him neutered first (he is a month older then her) and he has settled down nicely hormone wise. Her hormones have kicked in over the past weeks and she is constantly humping him. LOL

Paddy Ohara wrote:
My Vet prefers to spay larger rabbits earlier than smaller ones. My Flemish was about 5 months old when she was spayed.
Really? I find that surprising, since larger rabbits are slower to mature/develop and will usually be (IMO) better off waiting until they finish developing.

Back