flemish giant questions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wallice

Reaction score
Hi

I recently adopted a 7 month old fixed flemish giant rabbit from the shelter. I had a mini-lop before, though she very sadly passed away. This boy is very different though! I'm just wondering what to expect from this breed, in terms of temperment, behaviours, (laziness, he spends a lot of time laying down in his cage, even when the door is open!), and trainability.

He is awesome though, and very friendly, except that he nips if I stop petting him, but i'm working on that one.

Any information or stories would be great!

Christina:)

Check out my blog i just recently got a flemish too named Zues many stories and pics there. And gratz on new family member!

Flemish are AWESOME in my opinion but I find them almost to be closer to a dog or puppy in personality than a rabbit.

My flemish love to be pet and will often come into my lap if I'm sitting on the floor. Tiny used to give me kisses on my ankle and legs when I was sitting at the desk.

Feel free to check my blog as you'll read many stories of my flemish giant(s). You can see the link on the right side of this post.

TinysMom wrote:
Flemish are AWESOME in my opinion but I find them almost to be closer to a dog or puppy in personality than a rabbit.

My flemish love to be pet and will often come into my lap if I'm sitting on the floor. Tiny used to give me kisses on my ankle and legs when I was sitting at the desk.

Feel free to check my blog as you'll read many stories of my flemish giant(s). You can see the link on the right side of this post.
Same here, I agree!! I just picked one up and his name is Jay Jay check out my blog as well

Ive had my boy for about 6 months now, and i will never even look twice at a dwarf rabbit again. larger breeds in general are a lot calmer and not as jumpy, sadly thier life spans are shorter, though.
i think thier a lot more intelligent, also, than smaller breeds. my boy is a lot shyer than his brother was, but he will tolerate a lot from my daughter pickin on him and hell let me cradle him and he slept next to me in bed one night.
my boy also follows me around, getting a craisen or cheerio, and sometiems will come when you say cheerios :)

thier my favorite breed after the french lop, and ill always have one!

any pictures of your new bun?

OK, I might be severely biased, but I thinkFlemish are just the best rabbit Companions! Sweet, laid back, generally affectionate... they truely enjoy being with you. I think you're going to really enjoy your boy!

"One you've been owned by a Flemish, no other rabbit will do!"

The Big Ones are vastly different than smaller rabbits. In some ways, they're more active, because they're more confident. We have several that will wander around the house checking things out, and when they're satisfied they've explored everything, they'll turkey up and lounge for a while.

Recently I adopted a Holland lop (well, actually, he was an auction rabbit at a show, and I won him) and his personality is rather different than either the Dutch we have around or the Flemish we breed. He spends his time in his hutch keeping himself busy shredding newspaper and throwing his food dish around. When he's out of the hutch, he runs around the floor inspecting everything, but rarely comes to a full stop.

Hi

Thanks for all the replies, I'm pretty excited to get to know my little(ish) guy more and more. Hes only been with me 6 days now and alredy comes to me when hes out of his cage.

I was trying to figure out how old he really is though, the staff at the shelter thought he was about 6-7 months old, so I was wondering if anyone knew how much he should weigh at this age. I tried to weigh him (though not well) and it seems he about 9 pounds. Does this seem right?

Wallice's servant,

Christina:)

Back