Flemish Giant info and history

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brimmhere

Reaction score
just was curious..... when the flemish firstcame about what was the purpose of the breed? was it as ameat rabbit or other purpose.... also what is the averagelife span of a flemish, being its a giant breed does it not live aslong as say a smaller breed? we are getting a flemish soonand have been just reading info from different sites but these are afew questions we havent come across for answersyet. we are getting a buckand he will beneutered. also since this is such a large bun do westill need to wait til 5 months to neuter or can it be doneyounger? thanx for any advise!

Great thread! I want a flemish too, so Ill be sure to see what everyone has to say :) hehe

Virginia

It's speculated that the Flemish had it'sbeginnings 500 or more years ago and may have originated from Belgiumbreeds, the Steenkonign and the now extinct Patagonian. Manybreeds we have today can be traced back to having some Flemish in theirheritage.

Pam

brimmhere wrote:
just was curious..... when the flemish first came about whatwas the purpose of the breed? was it as a meat rabbit orother purpose.... also what is the average life span of aflemish, being its a giant breed does it not live as long as say asmaller breed? we are getting a flemish soon and have beenjust reading info from different sites but these are a few questions wehavent come across for answers yet. we are gettinga buckand he will be neutered. also since this issuch a large bun do we still need to wait til 5 months toneuter or can it be done younger? thanx for anyadvise!
Flemish were pretty much meat and fur bunns. With the rightcare, nutrition and vet care Flemish live just as long as a smallerrabbit. I was told that between 4-6 months was the average age forspay/ neuters to be done.

Flemish are really big water drinkers. This is something I'veobservered not only with Apollo & Athena but also by talking toother Flemmie parents. I would suggest a 32 ounce water bottle.

Most Flemish take to the harness and being outside really well.They love to play. They do tend to just lay around alot lol. Theyusually will pick a spot near you on on you. They are big babies.

Flemish tend to be very sensitive. The slightest reprimand andthey are running over to make sure you aren't angry with them. Carolynand I can not raise our voices to Cali and Apollo because they just getso upset.

You can also pm me with any questions you have.

Tina

Tina is a great source of Flemishinformation. She gave me a bunch of websites when I wasgetting Sampson. She'll do well breeding them.LOL I want a Tina Flemish.

Jen

Back