Fleas

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cirrustwi

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
I just discovered fleas on my dogs! Imissed their Frontline treatment, and of course, they got thefleas. Anyway, the dogs just got their Frontline, so theywill be fine, my concern is that Sampson, Delilah and Anissa areregularly exposed to the dogs. I can't see any fleas on them,but I might be missing them. Is there anything I can use totreat them?

I looked it up here and just found a bunch of conflictingstuff. I'm so afraid to give Ivermectin after the reactionssome people have experienced, plus Delilah is only 10 weeksold. I just can't take another sick bunny rightnow. Plus, I'd like to treat everyone because they are all inthe same house and Corky and Lily are blue. I also don't knowmost of the bunnies back genetics, so they could have blue inthem. I just don't know what to do!

Jen

I would just keep an eye on them. Mydog had fleas and the bunnies never got them. If they showsigns, take them to the vet. This is much safer for thebunnies because the vet will know what you can use.

Sharon

Hi Jen,

Treat her with some kitten flea powder. Just a small amount is needed.Too much isn't good for the rabbit, so I put it in my hand, rub itaround and then put it on them. It'll take care of the problem safelyfor your little one.

Flea/tick combs help to find them.

Kill them all - Dead.

Of course remove any bedding or anything they can attach themselves to.

-Carolyn

Hey Jen :p

Carolyn's idea sounds great! I HAD to post a reply to yourcomment on Ivermectin. I had an awful scare with a treatmentof that to rid my buns of ticks or anything else they mighthave. My female nearly died about 10 hours after hertreatment! She recovered after an all-day stay at the vet,thank goodness! But my male which is her brother, had no badreaction whatsoever. I just had to give my warning.It was really scary! Perhaps you can contact your vet and askthe doctor if they can offer any treatment other thanIvermectin...? :)

Hugs!

Besides, Ivermectin will not kill fleas in their adult stages.

:?

-Carolyn

DO NOT WORRY! I am a vet tech and know a lotabout flea treatment. Most likely your bunnies will be absolutely fine.As long as you treat your dogs with frontline, the fleas in your housshould all die off! That is the great thing about frontline. Be surehowever to vaccum every day for the next couple of weeks to ensure thatthe flea eggs and larvae are taken care of. As far as being scared ofthe ivomectin, I wouldnt worry too much. I know that you've heard a lotof bad things about it, but it should not be feared. It is a great drugfor treating a whole range of parasites as well as demodex which is atype of mange found on dogs. In fact ivomectin is also an ingredient inyour dog's heart worm pills. as long as it is used correctly it isrelatively safe. if your rabbit should develop a flea problem ( which Ihighly doubt it will ) be sure to take he or she to a vet whospecializes in rabbit treatment, someone who only sees exotic animals!There are many different avenues you can take. if you need some moreadvice on this topic, just let me know, i wuld be glad to help!

My girls also ended up in intensive care withtoxic reactions including vision disturbances difficulty walking andstasis, theyneeded 2 days of iv fluids to flush theivermectin, but yes some bunny's have no reaction at all.

Anyway in regards to the fleas, tryusing a blowdryer on coldand sift through the fur, if u see a flea, simply pick it out. Alsowatch to see if bunnys are scratching.

I still haven't noticed any fleas on the bunsyet, but I did put a call into my vet because I'm going to be in hisarea this weekend and needed to know if he thought I should picksomething up. I talked to him about Ivermectin. Hesaid he's not really fond of using it in the treatment of rabbits,unless it's necessary. Which we decided in this case probablyisn't necessary. He said he's seen a few reactions, andagreed that there seems to be some link with rabbits with blue coloringin their genetics. We decided that since Lily and Corky areblue it probably wouldn't be the best idea to treat them withit. However, he did say that ivermectin has its uses and is agreat thing, you just have to watch for reactions.

Anyway, I've decided to watch and see. If I do see any, I'mgoing to try just using a flea comb on them. We are hopingthat as brookbunny said, the fleas will all die off now that the catsand dogs have been treated with Frontline and I'm putting a flea collarin my vacuum bag compartment. That is supposed to help.

Jen

Carolyn wrote:
Hi Jen,

Treat her with some kitten flea powder. Just a small amount is needed.Too much isn't good for the rabbit, so I put it in my hand, rub itaround and then put it on them. It'll take care of the problem safelyfor your little one.

Flea/tick combs help to find them.

Kill them all - Dead.

Of course remove any bedding or anything they can attach themselves to.

-Carolyn
Just wanted to say this isa safemethod and I canvouch for its efficacy. I lost a rabbit to vet-prescribed Revolution,and am leery of trying Ivermectin.

Rose

just gonna throw my 2 cents in .. this is prollygonna sounds really dumb....but on the flight down to my dads house iwas reading those Skymall catalogue and it has a flea comb that killsthem on contact with a low volt zap that supposedly doesnt bother theanimals ....heres the link to the product...

http://www.skymall.com/webapp/skystore?process=prodDisplay&action=&pid=69693745&catId=Search

69693745x.jpg

Rose: Thanks! That's actually what I'mgoing to do if needed. That's also exactly what my vet saidto try first. I think I may have dodged the bullet this timethough.

FreddysMom: How cool is that??? I think that's a great thing.

Jen

Here's a news story on the flea zapper which does actually appear to be effective in killing some fleas . . .

http://www.10news.com/doesitwork/3753503/detail.html

The major drawback is that it would be time consuming to zapper combthe pet daily. You'd only be killing some of thefleas actally on the animal, but not those around the house, nor theeggs or larval stage of fleas.

On the plus side, no medications need to be used.

You can findnew zapper combs on ebay for as low as $10--$15.

Pam

Latest posts

Back