Fleas?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bo B Bunny

Reaction score
I was always under the impression that bunnies don't get fleas. Well, Tony has fleas. What should I do? Called the vet and they want to see him to give me revolution or advantage..... anyone know how much is safe?

Should add that we have had NUMEROUS vet visits lately.... horses, dog, other dog, cat had a bite abscess and had to have surgery... so if I can give him the stuff he needs without the vet visit.... I'd really appreciate the help.

He's fine otherwise. I vacuumed a bunch off of him I think... used a flea comb too and he seemed less infested but I want to make sure.

Frontline is bad cause it gives rabbits seizures is all I know for sure... but I found this on a website:

Advantage for cats is safe for rabbits but use only a half dose.

And to be VERY careful of online or so called "natural" remedies because certain ingredients like peppermint, eucalyptus, etc can kill your bunny.

But here's a website with more info that I found: http://www.allearssac.org/fleas.html

Revolution or Advantage, use the kitten dose. They usually do require a prescription, though. The other treatments won't help or aren't safe (Frontline).

Ditto what Claire said. Not sure how big Tony is but the kitten dose is good for buns about 5lbs and under. Penny got the cat dose of revolution because she was around 6lbs. My vet looked at the kitten dose and looked over penny again and she opted for the cat dose with her size in mind.

THANK YOU ALL! Tony is a Palomino and now that he's a bit on the less plump side, he's about 8 pounds. I will check to make sure before I give it to him. I can go get his flea stuff at a great place we have here... it's all about spay, neuter and keep them healthy! :)

Bo B Bunny: you can use the kitten advantage dosage on your bunny since he/she is under 9lbs. You don't have to half dose the dosage. I use kitten advantage in the orange box and it works great.

The dosage for an 8lb rabbit would be .8mL. That is my guess coming from what I use on my rabbits, I use .4mL of kitten advantage on them and they tolerate it very well.

Latest posts

Back