fleas

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

holland

Reaction score
Sorry but I'm new to this and have no idea whatI'm doing, but anyway I have a litter of six week old holland lops theyhave white tiny flakes all over them and I think I saw a flea. Is thispossible and if so what do I do.

Welcome to the forum :D.

White flakes may well bebe mites, but if you saw a flea they might have those too.

A lot of products aren't safe to use on rabbits, and if they're asyoung as that I'd definitely check with a rabbit savvy vet before usinganything unless anyone else on here knows for sure what's safe at thatage.

They sound cute, any pictures?

Kate

We had two other litters that did just fine. Sowhat would cause this one to be different? No, I don't have anypictures. We have 2 solid black, one blue, and three torts. Their furlooks fine. It's just by their ears and the top of the head and mostlyon the blacks. It just looks like tiny white specks. I've read aboutusing cat flea powder but was worried becauce they are so young. SodoI need to treat the mom eventhough I don't see anything onher?

Welcome Holland,

As stated in Kathy Smith's book, Rabbit Health in the 21stCentury, "If your rabbit seems to have only a few fleas, the safestway to get rid of them is to use a flea comb. A thorough combing shouldbe done daily. Kill the fleas by dipping the comb in a warm, soapywater. Rinse the comb thoroughly before continuing to comb"

Of course, make sure you dry of the rabbits when you're done. Make sureyou thoroughly clean all areas where the rabbits are. Wash all bedding,carpet area, etc., with hot water.

-Carolyn

P.S. At 6 weeks old, you can use Kitten Flea powder to treat both the little ones and mom.

That advice was given to me from a breeder that has been in the business for 25+ years.

That's the thing about rabbits; You gather all the information you can, and decide what's best for yours.

:)

-Carolyn

I would just like to say thanks for all the info.And I think we will be okay. I read some info about using mineral oil,and I think this may be a little bit safer for the little ones. Doesanyone else know much about this. It just said to wipe them down withthe mineral oil, paying special care to the ear and head area. I alsoread about using a damp sponge and warm soapy water, but was a littleunsure. As far as having pics for my little ones, no I don't justbecause I'm not good at getting pics on my computer, and my digital isbroken.

I've gone the mineral oil route and although itworks for ear mites, it is messy! The oil clogstheir pours and it sufficates the bug.

I have doubts that the mineral oil will get rid of fleas, but I couldbe wrong. It's very oily and messy for the rabbit.Tucker was so mad at me! This was the look I got for astraight week.

-Carolyn

The tiny white flakes may be dander, make suretheir feed has enough nuts and grains to the get fatty acids. Iuse kitten Advantage on my dwarf for fleas with good resultsbut I'd call a vet who knows rabbits and ask, where they are so young.

Judie

Yes they always get little bumps or scabs where they scratch, especially around the ears and neck

Judie

Rare for buns to get "dander." Moreprobable it is mites. Mites can be treated at home withivemectin 1.87% horse worming paste.

FYI: from a previous post by Carolyn....
spacer.gif

"I use Ivermectin 1.87. A pea-sized dollop of it, repeat processafter 10 days and then 10 days later to rid of any eggs that were laid.One tube will provide many many treatments, and it is very effectiveagainst mites.

Ivermectin is a horse worming paste. It is said to be good foreliminating fur mites, ear mites, and worms. It doesn't work onadult-stage fleas. Put the dollop on the forepaw where it will belicked off....

Carolyn"

Buck

Hi guys, I just wanted to let you knowthat I got all of the buns out today went over them completly, changedout the nest box with new hay and a smaller amount of fur, and I didn'tsee any fleas. The 3 tort buns were just fine no white stuff at all,and the three black babies had some white it was just behind the earson all three, I think it my have been something left from the birthsac? but anyway I wiped all of them down with listerine and dried themoff really well. I looked at the mom as best I could, as she is a veryprotective mom, and didn't see anything on her. But thanks for all theinfo.

holland wrote:
I wiped all of them down with listerine and dried them off really well.
Did they smell minty fresh afterwards? :p

Back