Fleas! Need advice!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ana_The_Dreamer

Reaction score
My poor baby has been itching her ears and over grooming lately, so I've been keeping a close eye on her. I was petting her a bit ago and noticed a little black bug burrowing in the fur behind her ears and discovered she has fleas (it doesn't seem to be an infestation). I have a dog, so I suspect she got the fleas from her because I haven't ever taken the rabbit outside. What should I do? I don't have any rabbit savvy vets near me. :cry2

ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1400175930.377149.jpg

Are you sure it's fleas? symptoms are Self- biting or chewing
Excessive scratching, licking
Visible bite marks or evidence of fleas (e.g., larvae, flea dirt, etc.)
Hair loss
Scaling on the skin

Where are you located? Maybe someone could help find a rabbit savvy vet in your area. They will be able to tell you if your bunny has fleas and give you the most effective treatment. You can use a flea comb Thoroughly comb your bunny's fur, and dip the comb in warm soapy water or alcohol to drown the fleas. Be sure to rinse the comb before applying it to your bunny again.

Last edited:
You could ask your vet for a prescription for Revolution. Even if they are not rabbit savvy, the vet you take your dog to might help you out. I'm not sure of the dosage, but I think it goes by weight so a rabbit would get a dose similar to what a kitten might get.

Here's what I use for my buns and you should be able to find it at any pet supply store. You might have to get your residence treated if all your animals are getting fleas.

20140515_131248.jpg

Last edited:
Advantage (Imidacloprid),use the appropriate sized cat dose, or Revolution (selamectin) which you can only get from a vet because it also covers heartworm, but many vets will give it to you for a rabbit are what you're looking for. Never use Frontline or any other product containing fipronil on a rabbit.

Treat the dog and any other pets in the household too.

Okay, thank you all so much! I ordered the advantage II (for kittens) online and it should be here by Tuesday. Is there anything home remedy wise (I've read about some on the internet, but don't really trust them) I can do for Nessa while I'm waiting for it to come? I've been thoroughly cleaning her cage and vacuuming my house. I also treated the dog for fleas yesterday. When the weather heats up here the fleas become like a plague!

Sorry, I don't do much research on homeopathic options. We get fleas and we only have bunnies and they have not yet gone outside. It just happens sometimes. Just remember to mark your calender once a month for application and if you have multiple bunnies I would try to keep them separate until the solution dries or they try to groom one another.

Latest posts

Back