Flea powder and stomping question....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sox

Reaction score
Just curious to know if you guys use flea powder on your rabbit?

Well when I go away soon for 2 weeks Sox will be boarded at a place that has 20 rabbits. I am concerned she may catch something. Should I use flea powder on her or after she returns home I wonder. I can't see any fleas on her at present; she's an indoor rabbit. At her boarding place she will be outdoors and will get to go out in the run daily. Will she catch fleas from using the same run as other rabbits?

I've also read that people mention their rabbit stomp? Guess this is part of rabbit behaviour but so far mine has never done that and she is 9 months old. When do they start stomping and is that a body language to say they are not happy or want something?

Sorry for the silly questions.

When I first got my bun (he was a stray - found outside) my vet used "advantage" which is a liquid you drop at the base of there head - between their shoulder blades. Can be bought at any petfood supply store. Depending on the size of your bun you most likely would use the one sold for kittens (the dose is dependent on weight).

As for stomping - just depends on the bun and yes its their way of saying - I'm Scared and tough get away from me; or I do not like you just cleaned my pen and moved all my toys around; The buns at the shelter I work out always "thump" after I remove them from the cage to the exercise pen - they do not like being told what to do.. I just always reply "your welcome"..

I would only use any flea medication prescribed by a rabbit savvy vet. Certain kinds can be fatal to a rabbit, even more so because they clean themselves all over and will ingest anything you put on them. I would leave your bun there, and if she has any fleas when she gets home you can go to the vet and ask them to prescribe something. In general though, rabbits aren't very prone to fleas. She might get some being outside, but I don't think it's a given to get fleas just from being around other rabbits.

Second, not all rabbits thump. Some are nervous or very expressive and thump all the time, others never thump. I've only had one thump from my bun in the year I've owned him.

Please do not use a flea powder on your rabbit. That can be very dangerous! The only flea treatment we use is called Revolution and it is a drop between the shoulder blades. It is the kitten strength dose depending on the size of the bunny.

As far as stomping goes, all bunnies are a little different personalities. I would say the stomping is just a way to tell you how they are feeling. Most likely it is a way to tell you I'm not happy with something that just happened. Although I do have a bunny that I'm convinced he stomps at me when he wants attention! :)

Some rabbit care books state that a rabbit stomping is an alarmed rabbit who is trying to warn others of danger (similar to gerbils drumming their back feet).

However both Ebony and Guy use stomping as a way to say "Pay attention to me!" or "Put more food in my bowl now."

Jo xx

Latest posts

Back