Flea help!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acdcfan23

Reaction score
Okay so besides my bunnies I have a cat and yesterday I found a flea on the cat. The cat frequents the rabbits pen and hangs out with them and now I'm worried they are going to get fleas. I have since gotten flea treatment for the cat and I'm keeping him out of the Rabbit room. I haven't noticed any on them but my lion heads been scratching so now I'm a worried bunny mom. What are the best treatments for fleas on rabbits and can I put anything on them to prevent them from getting them if they don't already?! All advice is appreciated, thanks :3

We recently were given the cat and never even though about fleas since all the animals are indoor but I'm definitely going to be doing more frequent prevention methods.

Regardless of indoor/outdoor status its still a good idea to use prevention.
When it gets cold outside fleas will hop a ride on something warm... say you for example. Then they end up in your house and finding the closest meal... ohh a cat or rabbit!
Fleas are around year round even where people think they go dormant or die off for winter. As long as hosts are around there will be fleas trying to survive.

I agree 100% with what Watermelons has to say. Also, fleas are one of the ways we humans get tapeworm and can bite us if they get hungry enough! Fleas are hard to get rid of once you have them, so prevention is key!

It happened to me too when my parent's cat got fleas. I panicked, but the problem was actually solved quickly as I treated immediately and kept the cat separated from the rabbits (and vacuumed a lot ^^).
If you decide to treat your rabbits, be very careful about selecting the product you use. Some of them are harmless for rabbits while others are lethal. You can use Advocate, advantage for cats under 4 kilos (I never know how much it is in pounds - 10? ), or Stronghold for kittens. I think I used advantage (about half a tube). It got rid of the fleas and my rabbits had not bad reactions from it.

4 kilos is about 8.8 lbs (only know this because we weigh our animals in pounds, but all of the meds worth using are dosed in mg/kg) :p.

I also use Revolution on my cat and bunnies. About a year after getting my first two rabbits, I removed the carpeting from the living room because the rabbits were digging it up and sometimes peeing on it. I had linoleum put down instead. I mop the floor with Murphy's Oil Soap which one of my bunny books said was a natural flea deterrent. The fleas were bad this last summer. I had to treat the rabbits and cat three months on a row.

Back