Flea Comb

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi! I'm a new member on this forum and I had a quick question for everybody! My rabbits have fleas and I've been reading around the internet about how to use a flea comb since I have one, but everywhere, it says to rinse the brush off after each stroke with dishwashing detergent and warm water in a bowl to kill the fleas, but then, I don't know what to do from there. All the websites say to keep brushing them. After rinsing the brush, do I directly keep brushing my rabbit? Won't the dishwashing detergent harm the bunny once they start grooming themselves and ingest it? Also, my vet advised not to use flea medication because it's a mild case but her office is closed now so I can't ask her what to do with the brushing situation.
-Thank you so much!

I would ask your vet if you can pick up some Revolution(selamectin) to treat the fleas. Even a mild case requires the proper treatment. One topical application and you're done. Much easier than trying to comb them out, which seems pretty impossible to do with rabbit fur the way it is.

Revolution(selamectin) dosage for rabbits is 3 times the dose used on cats and dogs. Dosage is 18mg/kg. So if you have a 5 lb rabbit, you would need the dosage used for a 15 lb cat.

It's also important to make sure any other pets are treated that need to be, and the rabbits environment is cleaned thoroughly.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Fleas
If you still want to try the comb, dipping the comb in dish soap is to remove and kill any fleas or eggs that come off in the comb. I would also then rinse the comb in plain clean water after that, before resuming combing, so that no soap residue gets into the rabbits fur. I would also dry off the comb before combing through the fur again, so the fur doesn't get wet.

Latest posts

Back