Fixed Bunny from pet store/giving your Bunny Oats

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SOOOSKA

Reaction score
Hi, my husband & I were a pet storetoday. I asked if the sold Lionhead Bunnies, the sales clerksaid that every so often they get them, but they sell for about $200.00Canadian.

She said the bunnies were fixed already, I asked her what age theywere, she said 5 weeks old. I was shocked, our Vet whospecailizes in Exotic pets would not fix our Jackie & Wilburtill they were 6 months old. Has anyone ever heard of a bunnybeing fixed that young?

Does anyone know where I can get a Lionhead Bunny in the Toronto area?

I've read that some of you give your Bunnies oats, what kind of oats & how much?

Thanks

Soooska

I guess a bun could be fixed at thatyoung of an age, but everything I've ever read about the topicsuggested the onset of puberty, which can vary betweenbreeds. Six months old is not unrealistic.

I feed a tablespoon of whole oat to each rabbit daily, in addition topellets,greens, fruits and vegetables. Ibuy 50 lbs for $10.50 U.S. from a feed store and break it down intoindividual 10 lb sacks which are then put into our freezerand withdrawn on an as needed and usedbasis.

This practice keeps our six bun in oats for the better partof a year. By and large, any kind of oats can be fed,including the kind on might eat for breakfast oneself. Oatsare considered to be an efficient way put on solid body mass withoutadding unnecessary fat.

Buck

Hi Soooska,

Lionheads cost $79.95 inEdmonton. Mini Lops are $69.95 Dutch andMini Rex are $39.95. All of them areunaltered. I guess the prices vary due to popularity of thebreeds.

I give Pebbles oats twice a day, a pinch of oats in themorning, and evening mixed with herpellets. It's the Quaker Quick Oats...100% rolledoats.

Rainbows! :)

SOOOSKA wrote:
She said the bunnies were fixed already, I asked her what age theywere, she said 5 weeks old. I was shocked, our Vet whospecailizes in Exotic pets would not fix our Jackie & Wilburtill they were 6 months old. Has anyone ever heard of a bunnybeing fixed that young?

It's not recommendedbecause an abdominal incision is required-- I wouldn't think that it would be ethical for a vet to do theoperation at such a young age due to the risk.

Pam

Hi Rainbows, so is giving oats to the Bunnies safe, I have never heard/read any where to give them oats.

Thanks

Soooska

I've actually read somehwere to not giveyour rabbit oats, but so many experienced owners on this forum do...andI give my rabbit a teaspoon of oats every other day...it can reallyhelp keep their systems moving...just like any food that you introduceto them, do it slowly...and if you see diarreah or a lack of poop, orany change in behavior, cut back a bit!

-Vanessa

Here is a list of lionhead breeders in Canada (the link)

http://lionheadrabbit.net/breederlist.htm#CANADA

I love the website:

http://lionheadrabbit.net

It is set up by some of the best breeders (from what I've beenreading). The Gibbons have the 2nd certificate for developingthe breed if the first person fails with ARBA....so they know whatthey're doing.

I bought my two pet-quality lionheads from Savannah - here inTexas. She is one of the "recommended" breeders on thatsite. Suzan really helped me and even called me after we gothome to see how the little ones were doing.

We're adoring our lionheads - they are definitely a different personality than a dwarf or a flemish!

Peg

Wow, Lion-heads cost soo much over there:shock:Here in a petstore called Animal Atlanta, they sellLion-heads for $25 they are sooooo cute, not sure if they are purebreed do.

For $25, I highly doubt that they are purebred...or that the line that they are from would be one that I'd want.

I say this because I've been doing a lot of reading aboutlionheads....they can have a single mane or double mane.Frequently, the single mane ones may lose their mane when theymolt. The double maned ones get their mane in later - but itlasts longer and they don't lose it.

My two are grandchildren of "Cimmaron's Firebear". To me,that means nothing...but I was told that to breeders, that means alot. Because they were only pet quality, they were $50 and$60 (but I got a discount since I was buying them both).Apparently, Firebear won lots of things and is very very close to thebreed standard - but he didn't breed a lot. Here is a link toinformation on Firebear:

http://www.djslionsden.com/firebearoffspring.html

Anyway, I have talked to three different lionhead breeders and theyhave all stressed to me that they breed not only for show looks but fortemperment. Lionheads also can have epilepsy....I noticedGail Gibbons has tracked 29 cases of this. I would beconcerned about getting a lionhead from a non-breeder because at thistime, they aren't sure what causes it. Here's a link aboutthat:

http://www.lionheadrabbit.net/Epilepsy.htm

Anyway, I'm not trying to knock pet stores - ok? But to me,if you're going to get a lionhead - I think I'd invest the extradollars in a purebred....even if it is pet quality. Minewould be show quality if they didn't have white paws/mittens/toes, etc.~ and she easily would have gotten $150 each for them....because oftheir line they're from.

Finally - for those who really want to look at lionheads - the Nationalshow is in Ohio this coming weekend. Here is a link to somelionheads that have been donated by top breeders for auction:

http://www.lionheadrabbitclub.com/05Auction.htm

Peg

I caution anyone from buying bunnies frompetstores if you really want a purebred.The bunnnies i saw selling for29.99 at petsores were definitely not Netherland Dwarfs as the signsaid.They looked like polish dwarf crosses.bluebird

Latest posts

Back