First Vet Visit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArvadaLaner

Reaction score
i5rw9g.jpg

Today was our first Vet visit for Happy! It turns out, I was right about Happy being a female! Yay me! Happy is very healthy, clean, and according to the Vet and Vet techs, very well behaved! Happy even let me show off, when I told the Vet she would come when I called her, and he decided to test me by placing her on the floor on the opposite side of the exam table and see if she would come to me. She hopped to me right away. Good girl!
She is mad at me now, but she will get over it. (I hope!) ;)

Very good story. Such nice looking bunny! I can't get my bunnies to run to me when I call them, unless they are hungry for a treat! I don't think anyone has ever had a dog, cat, rabbit that was happy to go to the vet!!!

Haha, bunnies are good at holding grudges after vet visits :D Fantastic news that she's all happy and healthy though :) You'll probably find she'll continue to come when called, but only when she wants to :p

Took my previous rabbit, Bunny, to the vet for a check up every 6 months. Always got her nails clipped, since she really didn't want me to do it. I think having it done by a stranger scared her into submissiveness. Also, she was a free ranging house rabbit...nevertheless she could get fleas. We often, with constant supervision, let her hop around the yard for half hour segments or so. This was enough for her to get fleas from the grass. .probably from neighbor's/feral cats.

Important things to check with each Vet visit..teeth. Rabbit teeth are constantly growing. If they don't keep their teeth worn down...it's a big problem. Actually, dry hay like oat hay is good for them to chew and wear down their teeth. If the teeth are starting to grow too big, it gets painful for the rabbit to chew and they start loosing weight. Note: horses have the same problem. Their teeth have to be "floated" ground down with a file every often. Back to rabbits. In addition to teeth, monitor their weight. If they start loosing weight, particularly if they are also having a dental problem...this is a sign of possible impending doom.....dreaded GastroIntestinal Statis. With GI Statis, if a rabbit stops eating for 12 or maybe 24 hours this is a medical emergency.

Cliff's Notes: Have your rabbit vet monitor bunny's weight and teeth each visit. A downward trend in weight is a potentially dangerous sign.

Thanks everyone. The vet did check Happy's teeth. He told me about another bunny patient he had, whose teeth did not line up properly, and he had to trim so much off over time. He said Happy's teeth are lined up fine, and he doesn't anticipate any issues there. I was a bit worried at first, because Happy didn't seem to want to chew any of the wood or toys, or things I bought her, but someone from the forum suggested some toys that her bunny enjoys, and I bought those, and Happy loves them! I also found a website that has a variety of different wood sticks and coins, that are safe for rabbits and chinchillas. I ordered a large sample package, and Happy is starting to like some of those to chew as well. Happy will be going back to the vet soon to be spayed. I plan to take very good care of her. :)

I was a bit worried at first, because Happy didn't seem to want to chew any of the wood or toys, or things I bought her, but someone from the forum suggested some toys that her bunny enjoys, and I bought those, and Happy loves them! I also found a website that has a variety of different wood sticks and coins, that are safe for rabbits and chinchillas. :)

...Our hyper active Flemmish baby girls. Although they have copious amounts of oat hay to chew, I thought that would be plenty as experienced from our previous old Bunny. In addition to three litter boxes, we have multiple cardboard boxes in the house. They love to chew on these cardboard boxes, and climb and crawl through them. Eating the odd piece of newspaper or paper shopping bag is also tasty. They are now 4 months old and are easily the size of most rabbits.

We have several sections of 2X4 unfinished pine pieces of wood in the living room, laying in the floor, for them to chew on. Since this wood is not varnished, I think it tastes better than furniture. Also pet toys like bundles of apple wood and woven grass matts to chew on. Our previous 11 1/2 year old Bunny, had no chewing problem.

Don't want to sound to negative, but my wife and I really love living in our house with our bunnies...even with some mischievious youth on their part. As they get older, and neutered, it'll be uphill. We'll have some really nice bunnies for house companions in the years ahead, just like we had with our previous Bunny.

Latest posts

Back