First vet visit advice for young rabbit (who hates being held)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rikku

Reaction score
Hi there!

I recently bought a four month old Holland lop who is very sweet and curious, but who HATES being picked up or held. I know that many rabbits don't like to be picked up because of prey instinct, but I am so used to my mini Rex (who passed last year at 9 years old) who he didn't mind one bit being picked up, handled, and carried around (he was just a very snuggly bun,) so I am unsure as to how to proceed with our new baby. The breeder I bought him from told me that all of the babies had been handled regularly.

When I try to pick him up (always seated on the floor,) he kicks and squirms wanting to escape. If I do finally get him to a point where I have him secure and he's still, his heart rate is up and he breathes really fast so I know he's nervous. I don't worry about picking him up when he's in his run pen or cage, as he is very good about just making his way where he needs to be, but I have his first vet visit scheduled for early May. My main concern is the stress that can come with a vet visit, especially for a rabbit who is not a fan of being held.

I have been working with him daily, getting down on his level (he comes right up to me), petting him gently and letting him hop away when he's had enough, and trying to get him used to having his ears and sides touched.
I just wonder if anyone has additional tips to ease him into the process of being picked up and examined.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Thank you!

Keep working at it. We've had one that loved being held and others, not so much. Got them used to the fact that it was "my choice" not theirs. If you don't train the rabbit, the rabbit will train you! Otherwise things like trimming nails becomes impossible. Remember, you have to be the Alpha. All of ours were rescues and some came to us off of "death-row" as they were biters that would draw blood--never was fun but necessary to get them used to handling.

Back