First time rabbit owner!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fins_superbowl

Reaction score
Hello all, this sites really helped to look and now want to dive in looking for advice. My profile pic is a pic of my bunny Millie (I think a Satin but if anyone disagrees let me know), she is about 3 months old and we do not plan to spay her. I built this bunny condo with grids and shelves inspired by this site. Couple things, 1)pooping and peeing everywhere not in litter boxes! Peeing on very edge of cage which is annoying because I have to lift it to clean it. Pooping mostly on very bottom level all over. We have a litter box in bottom level, and 2 in middle level that she does use for pooping but doesn't seem to pee there. We have hay in the litter boxes to attract her. What do I do??? 2)There is a top to her cage, but she is always trying to get out, I'm afraid she'll hurt herself jumping and being spider bunny on grids. She is very attention needy and hyper when we are by the cage and will jump on my hand/face/arms to get out (loves cuddling and interacting); is she getting enough exercise in there or why try to escape? Will this cage be big enough for her when she grows up? The whole thing is about 5ft x3ft plus levels. She is in there most of the day due to dog...whole other topic between those 2. 4)Also any ideas for the cage: toys, etc.. it's kinda boring in my opinion. Thanks all in advance for help.

IMG_0070.jpg

Hi! Congratulations on your new bun!!
If you want to teach her to use the litter box, you need to scoop up some of her previous poos and place them in the litter tray, keep on doing this daily-removing all visible faeces and after about a week she should get the hang of that being where poos go. This technique has always worked really well with me. It might be worth putting some sort of cover over the top of the cage as it is likely she cannot see the wire above her head, this will stop her from trying to get out; as well as this a blanket/cover over the cage will make her feel more secure, as rabbits, in the wild, prefer to be under cover as predators will attack from above. It looks perfectly spacious in there and bunnies don't usually try to escape in search of exercise it is more likely a need for attention plus the fact that she might get some more food (she has probably realised that you are the giver of food.) The hyper-activity is likely to be a result of the choice to not spay, this will understandably make her a lot more frisky and jumpy which could elevate into aggression. I would recommend getting her spade but obviously it is completely up to you. As far as accessories are concerned, make sure there are plenty of hidy holes in there: Cardboard boxes are good, they can keep a rabbit entertained for hours!! They can sit inside, jump on top, chew on the sides...Possibilities are endless!! Try hanging thinks like carrots and veggies to the bars and top of the cage as this can be a fun, healthy and rewarding distraction for them. Obviously provide plenty of hay-something they cannot get enough of and encourages foraging and grinds down there teeth.
Have fun!!

for a three month old bunny she has too much freedom. :)

Bunnies (like toddlers) need to earn their freedom. Until she is litter trained her area to free roam should be limited. Bunnies, unlike cats, pick their own area to do their business in. Let her pick her spot then put the litter box in that area.

her area is plenty big enough for her when she matures, but I'd seriously be limiting her access until she is litter trained.

Limit her space until she is litter trained. In bunny world being litter trained means peeing only in the litter box. Nowhere else. It is a rare bun that will not drop any poops outside of the litter box.

To litter train place a large enough litter box for your bun to completely fit in inside the cage. If there is an area in the cage she has been doing most of her pottying in then place the litter box there.

Clean up any poops outside the litter box into the litter box. Any pee soak up with a piece of paper towel. It does not have to be big, a corner will work and place this in the litter box.

Clean the cage frequently as long as the bunny is not litter trained with a mix of vinegar/water. This removes all of the smell making it less likely the bun will return to the same spot. Hang a hay rack above the litter box so the bun must be in the litter box to munch as buns tend to potty while eating. Or you can just place a pile of hay in the corner of the litter box.

This worked for all three of my buns. It took my young male three days and the two adult females no more than two weeks.

Once your bun is using the litter box to pee and only the litter box then you can slowly increase the size of the space she is allowed in. Once the bun has more space if she starts to have accidents that means you may need more than one litter box.

Cardboard is great fun for most buns. Boxes, empty paper towel rolls, etc. Make sure if the cardboard has printing on it that it is not shiny print. The ink in it may not be safe for buns. Rabbit safe wood items are another good toy. Hard plastic baby keys or slinkies are another. These you can usually find at the dollar store. Also any type of tunnel. You can use a cat tunnel or buy some concrete forms at a home improvement store. They are made of thick cardboard so are safe for buns. They are inexpensive and come in different diameters.

With any item purchased for a bun you want to be careful of the material if your bun is a chewer.

put some of the hay in the front of the litter box as well. She'll sit in there to eat the hay and will figure it out as her poop is in there and she can munch at the same time.

I think that is a great spread. Work with her on litter box training. If you can first thing in the morning urge or gently guide her to pee and pooh in the litter box when she wakes up. I do that every morning with Lady just to reinforce using the litterbox. That way she knows and can start putting together first thing in the morning I have to go do my business in this little box. See if you can start doing that with her and being there with her when you try to gently get her to use the litter box, putting hay near or in it is also another excellent suggestion!

Vanessa

Latest posts

Back