First time bunny owner

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abbydabbydoo

Reaction score
My husband and I found our bunny Abbygail (Abby) in March of 2010 on a Friday night outside in the cold. We pulled the car over (it was dark) and she let my husband pick her up. She was on a sidewalk outside of a ravine. We figuered she was sick or maybe dying and that's why she came out in the open and let him pick her up.

We took her to the vet, she was underweight and her ear mites were so bad the vet said he had not seen a case like that in over 40 years....poor baby. It even affected her paw, she wasnt able to go up or down stairs she was too sore. With love, food and anitbiotics she became a happy and healthy bunny. She loves to run all over the place and up and down the stairs.

We are very happy to have found her. We love her and feel very protective of her. We've learned an awful lot about bunnies and have seen many changes in the past 10 months. She has free range of the house until about a month ago as she wouldnt stop jumping on our bed at night and peeing in our bed. At night when I go to bed I put her in her cage but it's in our bedroom and let her out the minute I wake up in the morning. She has lots of freedom, love and excercise.

We're not sure how old she is, we got her fixed in August as she was displaying behaviours that required the procedure so I guess she's fairly young. I'll post some pictures she must be a giant checkered. She's white and black and very soft, big ears and about 6 lbs now. She's so cute!!!!

Looking forward to learning more and exchanging stories.

Hi from a fellow Ontarion. (not sure if this is an actual word :?:confused2:)

Boy you and your Hubby are Angels. Abby is one lucky bunny.

She sounds like a dream bunny (minus the peeing on the bed).

I can hardly wait to see pictures.

Susan:bunny19

Bunnies do like to mark their territory. Thank you for rescuing her--seems like rescued bunnies are the friendliest even though they came from a bad situation. She sounds fairly young too. Seems that most horse's patooties find out that there is more care needed with a bunny and usually dump them somewhere around four months of age. We rescued one from a shelter and she was very skinny--thought she was an older English Spot. Turned out she was a younger Checkered Giant around 4 months old--we've had her for five years now and she is the sweetest lap bunny in the world, but she's now 17 pounds. Really puts the Giant in Checkered Giant.

Let me welcome you to Rabbits Online, my name is Dave and I am a moderator on the forum. So if I can be of any help please let me know. This is a terrific website for rabbits and their slaves, not only is it very active but also friendly. I am so glad you’re here and I know you will enjoy it.

That is great you took her in. She is a lucky bunny finding such loving slaves.

Many bunny's recommend their slaves to this site so we may learn of others methods to keeping our furry masters happy.

If you everhave a sick bunny, please post in The Infirmary and include your rabbit's age, breed and health history as well diet and output details leading up to the problem.

I have listed some links I thought you might find interesting:

*For reference the Library section

*To brag or tell everyone about the antics of your bunny or just to talk about your day here is where to start a Bunny Blog, you can also look back at it later and remember when you had a life before your bunny.

*Now all the bunny’s like talk to each other when we mere slaves aren’t around in the Bunny Chat is the spot to be.

*Rabbits Online also has regional forums , this a good way to find a vet in your area that has experience with rabbits and to find out from other nearby of good sources of rabbit supplies.

The Let Your Hare Down section is for anything non-bunny related.

Here is a link tothat will help you and your bunny to connect, How To Bond With Your Bunny.

Now every forum has rules and ours can be found with this link Rabbits Online Forum Rules. This gives guidelines on what is acceptable, what is not and how we hope everyone will treat each other.

Everyone on this forum loves to see pictures of each other’s bunnies. So if you would like to post a picture this link will help you do that, Upload Photo's to Photo Gallery. Then in the post, you click on the "G" in the tool bar to insert your photo. Many people also use Photobucket. You just copy the img file and paste it into the post.

I am glad you have joined rabbits online and I look forward to seeing you around.

Abbydabbydoo wrote:
We're not sure how old she is, we got her fixed in August as she was displaying behaviours that required the procedure so I guess she's fairly young. I'll post some pictures she must be a giant checkered. She's white and black and very soft, big ears and about 6 lbs now. She's so cute!!!!
If you found her last March, she would be at least a year now if not older. At only 6 pounds, she is not a checkered Giant. My friend has a Checked Giant cross who is about 4 months old and probably weights at least 5 or 6 pounds now and still has lots of growing, he is expected to be about 14 pounds full grown.
Posting some pictures would help to ID the breed or possibly mix. Just the colour is not enough to determine breed as there are breeds that share some colour patterns but differ in many other ways.

Regardless of her breed or age, it sounds like she is in a wonderful home now. Welcome to RO.

Latest posts

Back