First time bunny owner / Rescued from street

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoobooBunny

Reaction score
I would like to say hi to everyone and also ask for advice. I am a bunny noob and I am 21. lol. I was never intrested in bunnys as a child....

We got BooBoo not to long ago. He was found outside he was a pet rabbit you can tell by his fur, markings and sweet cuddles. We posted found bunny signs for 48 hours and had no reply so we decided that he was meant to be with us.

I have noticed he isn't fixed I read they do need fixed... Booboo will be booked into the vets asap. Also, I am not sure if he had fleas from being outside but what is safe to use? We were going to buy some Revolution from the vets and give him that as the internet says use cat flea drops.... I wasn't to sure about it.

If you guys know what kind of bunny he is and his age please let me know so I can further my research... Please and thanks. :)

So far he is in a bunny cage... I must say they are ridiculously small but I am borrowing so I cant complain... I will post another thread about help with a cage. (Making vs buying vs custom wood built)

So picture time I guess. :)

Welcome to the forum!

He's so CUTE!!! HE Looks like a broken lionhead to me. Someone who is more experienced with color can confirm what color broken he is. Maybe broken chestnut agouti? (is that even possible?)

You don't need to get your rabbit neutered, but it can help improve behavior and help him live longer. If he is already really nice and uses a litter box well, he doesn't need to be neutered unless you want to.

It's so sad that people let their rabbits go and assume they will survive on their own. Hopefully this rabbit decided to escape, not got set free on purpose.

Hello there and welcome. Booboo is certainly a cute rabbit, agree with lionhead or lionhead mix. Good on you for rescuing him.

What a precious face! Booboo doesn't look very old, but he's sooo cute and I would agree that he was someone's pet. That is the same cage that we started out with. It looks fine for his size right now but when you're ready to upsize, check out this page! It's amazing what people are doing with NIC (Creative Cubes) on this forum! http://www.rabbitsonline.net/f69/2013-cages-youve-made-73877/ My hubs and I made Jovi a nice cube cage this past weekend.

He is super cute! I agree with lionhead or lionhead mix. His color is broken chestnut agouti. I also think I see a blue eye? Not sure if that has any play into his color though. As far as age Im not sure if there is a way to tell the age of a rabbit

Welcome to the forum :)

Welcome to the forum. There's an excellent feeding page here http://www.rabbitsonline.net/f28/quick-list-rabbit-safe-foods-49434/
Introduce new things very slowly and one by one. Let him adjust to you guys and his new home first. Lots of unlimited hay. Meadow, orchard, or timothy. He'll let you know what he likes.

For bedding you can use newspaper, carefresh (expensive), aspen shavings but no cedar or pine. They have Phenol in them which can be dangerous to BooBoo's respiratory system. If you have a feed store near you, you can get wood stove pellets. It may say pine on it but they're kiln dried which kills the phenol and makes it safe. It's very cheap as well. There are a lot of other options.

You can use Revolution Dose 18mg/kg.Take him to the vet first for a check up. Make sure he doesnt have anything crazy going on. He looks younger but it's hard to tell with Rabbits.

Oh lastly we talk about poop a lot around here. For rabbits it should always be well formed, round, and excessive. Anything else and your hippity hop has something going on. Hence why we talk about it all the time!
Good on you for rescuing a bun and a cute one to boot! Please post any questions you may have and we demand lots of pictures!

thanks he poops alot. I call him a poop machine. We emptied out or small spare rooom and just his cage is in there his supplys are locked in the closet. He runs and runs and poops on the floor as he is running if he's kept in his cage he for the most part poops in the box.

he passed away today we seen him a few hours ago and then I went in to say good night and he was laying there dead. Exactly 1 week to the hour that he was found. Its crazy how quick we fell in love

What? That's absolutely terrible. I'm so sorry that this happened and without any warning. :(

There may have been some warning but I didn't know it was one. He peed outside his litterbox and I cleaned it up. It was white. I assumed that's what they peed as I never had a bunny. I'm just happy his last days were here with a big room to run in, fresh water 4x a day and good food/veggies. I even cleaned his cage everyday. He was loved and held. I cuddled with him for hours on the couch and he seemed happy. He wasn't even kicking me or running away and loved to snuggle his face into me. I have to return the supplies but when my cat has his sugery for his bladder stone im building a big cage getting all the needed supplies and buying a baby lionhead from the petstore. A little girl. He has been with us long enough for us to fall inlove with rabbits :)

Aww, I'm sorry to hear that. The white urine may have been an indicator of bladder sludge, you are right. But very true that when you don't know what colour a rabbit's urine is supposed to be, how could you know... So sorry it ended that way, not anything you would have done though. That would have been a long developing issue. Best wishes for your cat's surgery, and I'm at least glad that the experience has developed in you a love for bunnies :)

Thanks and I'm just happy he had a safe place to pass away. And thanks on my guys sugery! We have been trying to break it down with antibiotics and special $50 cat food we find out of its shrinking and if it he doesn't need sugery. He stoped urinating out of the box so he may be better *fingers crossed* he still has a month tobwait but that gives me a few months to build the cage and get the appropriate supplies and learn

:( Oh no! I'm so sorry I went to the second page of this topic and I wasn't expecting that! He was such a cutie. RIP sweet little guy. Binky free over the rainbow bridge.

Latest posts

Back