first teeth trimming

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Viola

Reaction score
So proud of my 6 month Dwarf Lop! He basically has refused to chew anything with his front teeth and has a malocclusion, so took him to the vet for the first time today. He was so well behaved the vet could do it without anesthetic, and now he's home he's frolicking and eating like a horse.80% meadow hay diet and trimming might help his teeth grow straight as he's young. The bill was initially $400 but without anesthetic was $100. So brave! I wouldn't be so docile at the dentist, no anesthetic you'd lose a hand. Have any of your rabbits grown out of a malocclusion?

Depends on how bad it is, but the chances aren't very good that the rabbit will out grow it.Some owners opt to have the teeth removed permanently.

Thanks guys :).

The vet said that they can actually grow back after they're removed though. I read that it was more humane to get them out, but the vet seems optimistic about diet change/rigorous trimming while he's young,and she is a bunny owner herself (even tamed a wild one), so hopefully she can fix it. They use dental burs not clippers and yeah, he's eating so much hay right now, which he hasn't before.

It sounds like your vet does things right. It is true that sometimes they can grow back after extraction, but if done correctly, which can be tricky, they should be fully removed and not come back. It is possible that this one trimming and giving her lots of hay as well as other husbandry changes may keep it in line.

Thanks, I hope so. In the. Past couple of days he has put on so much weight, he was always kind of scrawny, so not complaining, but is this normal?

It can be really painful to eat with tooth problems, so it is good that he's eating again. Just make sure he doesn't overcompensate!

When Geri my two year old mini rex broke her tooth of by tugging on her cagr wires she got malocolision pretty bad, I edecided to see if it would work itself out, I put in a small tree stump instead of little blocks of pre cut wood and after a couple months she has beautiful pearly whites again, and no more trouble with malocalision

Latest posts

Back