First days with the rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Mockingjay

Reaction score
I'll be getting a rabbit very soon, in a week or so, and I was wondering about the first week with the rabbit. How long should I leave him in the cage to "settle in" until I start getting him socialized and exercised? Is there anything I'll need to do in the first few weeks that I wouldn't need to do later on? If you're wondering, here's the rabbit I plan on adopting:

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/27880051

I'll be getting a rabbit very soon, in a week or so, and I was wondering about the first week with the rabbit. How long should I leave him in the cage to "settle in" until I start getting him socialized and exercised? Is there anything I'll need to do in the first few weeks that I wouldn't need to do later on? If you're wondering, here's the rabbit I plan on adopting:

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/27880051

Congrats! What a cute bunny!!! A love Lionheads.. they are adorable.

Since my two new ones are rescues... I took them out immediately and let them roam around the small area I designated as their "home" area so they would feel comfortable but not give them too much leeway... until they got familiar with the area... I started immediately with the bunnies so they could start to know me but I would sit quiet with them and let them come to me. once they would do that I would start petting them and stroking them so they would feel comfortable, but for the most part I would sit on the floor with them and let them run around me and smell me and get to know me. I would start asap once you get the bun so they will be comfortable. Just remember to take your bun out in an enclosed small area so they will get to know you and you have a smaller space to work with. I started in the kitchen and bathroom and hallway and think it works well. That way you two get to develop your relationship together.. I'm still working on mine with Lady since she will not let me pick her up but that may come with time or not... since they are rescues they are going to be different so don't expect them to be cute and cuddly. Because they will start off someone scared... so work with that also. Good luck and keep us all posted!

Vanessa

My gosh I can't type today.. your rescue bun may be cute and cuddly, but just in case they are scared from past experiences with someone or who ever gave them up be cautious the first few days in case they are scared and need some time to adjust!!! wow I can't type at all today!!!!

I've had my male rabbit for almost a year and he hates cuddling! :( i don't keep him in a cage anymore like when I first got him I'd say like the first 6 months I kept him in a cage and let him run free while I was home, so he's been free for about 3 or 4 months and idk if it's bc he thinks I'm going to put him back in his cage or what but he hates to be picked up and held sometimes I try laying him next to me on the bed and he hates it! He doesn't mind me petting him while he's on the floor, I just wanna cuddle with him :(

Most rabbits being prey animals do not like to be picked up. To them it means they are about to be eaten. With time, work and patience they can learn to tolerate it since it is necessary for trimming nails, checking your bun for health issues, etc.

When first bringing you bun home I would place it in it's new cage. Some people recommend placing a hide box in the cage for a bun which could be as simple as a cardboard box. It may not be necessary though depending on your bun.

With my femmie I planned to keep him in the cage a while so he could adjust. That didn't happen. He was let out the very next day and just hopped about checking everything out and binkying. He was only 10 weeks then and has a very laid back personality and is not spooked by much. So the best thing you can do is watch your bun and see how tit behaves and reacts.

Is he litter trained? If he is not then you may want to keep him confined or at least in a small space until he learns. If he is he could have a set back in his potty habits due to the new environment and just be prepared. He may mark his new territory with lots of poops. Just pick them up and place them in his litter box. This should slow down over time as he begins to feel he's home.

Mostly just spend time with him. You can sit in the room whether he is in a cage or out running around. talk to him. Read a book or do whatever on your lap top. Keep some pellets with you as a treat to be given when he does approach you. Bribery works wonders :)

And of course come here for answers to all of your questions!

Like everyone is saying, each bunny is different. One of mine is ok with being picked up whenever. The other is flighty and I can only pick him up from his cage, which I have since read is not recommended. However, once I do pick him up, he is super snuggly, so I'm not too concerned about the way I have to get him.
There is a lot of advice here on pretty nearly everything you will need to know. Here are a few things I'd like to share that many new owners seem to not consider ahead if time (myself included on some).
First, get a big cage, not the little pet store ones. I was going to get a pet store cage, but then I researched a ton and realized my rabbit would be too big for that. Then I ended up with two. Luckily, the shelter sold me the biggest cage I could fit in my car and it is perfect for them.
Next, rabbits poop like crazy. I was not prepared for that. So much poop. I read on here a recommendation to get a shop vac. I got a good one for Christmas and it is a godsend. So, consider getting one. Mine picks up hay and poop like nothing.
If you have other pets, introduce them to your rabbit with caution. You never know which pets will try to eat each other or simply be scared. My cat is scared of my rabbits and my bird was ok with them until one tried to eat him. . .twice.

Anyway, those are things I've learned that I think are worth sharing.

I've had my male rabbit for almost a year and he hates cuddling! :( i don't keep him in a cage anymore like when I first got him I'd say like the first 6 months I kept him in a cage and let him run free while I was home, so he's been free for about 3 or 4 months and idk if it's bc he thinks I'm going to put him back in his cage or what but he hates to be picked up and held sometimes I try laying him next to me on the bed and he hates it! He doesn't mind me petting him while he's on the floor, I just wanna cuddle with him :(

Yeah ditto with Lady... she is just warming up to me sitting on the floor with her and her laying out flat and me petting her. She also hates to be picked up .. I'm getting her used to me laying beside her on the floor and petting her... so I can relate... Hang in there... maybe in year 2-4 they will both allow us to pick them up and will grow to let us cuddle with them... after all time builds trust!

Vanessa

Next, rabbits poop like crazy. I was not prepared for that. So much poop. I read on here a recommendation to get a shop vac. I got a good one for Christmas and it is a godsend. So, consider getting one. Mine picks up hay and poop like nothing.
If you have other pets, introduce them to your rabbit with caution. You never know which pets will try to eat each other or simply be scared. My cat is scared of my rabbits and my bird was ok with them until one tried to eat him. . .twice.

Anyway, those are things I've learned that I think are worth sharing.

Shop vac and/or a hand vac like the kind you use in the car is great. I just bought one a few weeks ago and it saves me so much time when Lady throws a fit and tosses all the litter out of her litter box in a fit! Or throws her hay around the kitchen floor. I'm glad I bought one because my hands were getting rough from sweeping!

I would definitely get a hand vac/ shop vac etc that is portable. It will be a god send when you let your little bun out in the house!

Vanessa

:bunnynurse:

Is he litter trained? If he is not then you may want to keep him confined or at least in a small space until he learns. If he is he could have a set back in his potty habits due to the new environment and just be prepared. He may mark his new territory with lots of poops.

Since he's already litter-trained (according to the shelter), then ideally, you want to keep him in his cage for the first 2-3 days even if he's not stressed out or anything - this establishes the cage as being "his" territory. After that, you want to gradually increase the amount of space he's allowed to run in and work your way up to letting him roam the house (or whatever amount of space you eventually want him to have).

If you give a bunny access to too much new territory at once, they'll go nuts with the poop (and sometimes pee) marking even if they're normally litter trained. Gradually increasing his territory prevents him from being overwhelmed by the urge to mark everything at once ;).

Don't worry about it try looking up how to massage him that is basically a mix of cuddling and petting also put him on ur knees instead of ur bed heights can b very scary to a rabbit who has not been introduced to height at a very young age and after u massage him try to start introducing him to new things if u want hope this helps :)

It's really dependent on the bunnies personality. All of ours are rescues and some are cuddlers and some will never be. I give them a couple of days to settle in and then start working with them. Our newest, Mr Hoppes was a couple days away from euthanasia--he'd been returned a few times and was labeled a biter. He was scared and shy when we got him and didn't like to be handled. Now he follows me around and loves to get rubbed and settles right down in my arms when I pick him up. Time and patience and persistence are the foundations for any bunny interaction. They usually don't like being picked up, but it's not really a choice they should get to make--you need to train them to accept it as they do need to be handled a bit and it will make your life easier. You'll need to assess and then move forward.

Lovelops that is exactly what I've been doing.. Laying on the floor with him and petting him I think it helps a little.

Kwelborne your probably right about the bed thing.. He likes the couches but he rarely gets on the bed by himself if he does it's when I'm sleeping and he sniffs around for a few seconds then jumps back down. But cuddly or not, I still love him to pieces

Well, unfortunately Bubba is being adopted by someone else. I am looking into some other rabbits, though!

Aww :(. I'm glad he found a home, but it's a pity you didn't get to adopt him! I'm sure there's other older, small-breed rabbits out there looking for a good home, though!

Wiggles (lionhead mix at the same shelter as Bubba) looks positively adorable, though she's a good bit younger than you were wanting. If you'd be willing to consider a bonded pair, there's a cute pair of Netherland dwarf rabbits at the SPCA in Raleigh (it doesn't give an exact age, only that they're adults, so you'd have to call and ask)... not sure if that's too far for you; it's around 85 mi from Greenville but I don't know if you actually live in that area or if that's just where Bubba was :p.

Here are some sites that list rescues/shelters in North Carolina that accept rabbits:
http://rabbit.rescueshelter.com/NorthCarolina
http://bundergroundrailroad.org/blog/state/north-carolina/
http://www.trianglerabbits.org/adopt/rescues.html

Keep in mind that even if a rescue/shelter has a website, there's no guarantee that ALL of their adoptable rabbits are actually listed. Rather than just looking online, I would actually call places within a reasonable driving distance, tell them what you're looking for (age, size/breed, etc.) and ask if they have any rabbits that might be a good match for you... or failing that, if they know of another place that might have one.

Since I believe you were looking for a rabbit that's 4+ years old, that's going to narrow down your choices quite a bit... however, I'm sure the perfect rabbit is waiting for you somewhere! At any place where you strike out, I would ask if you can leave your contact information (phone # and/or email) so that you can be reached if they receive a rabbit you might be interested in at a later date (assuming your parents are ok with you doing this, of course). That could save you having to make another round of phone calls every couple weeks if you don't find a rabbit the first time ;).

Sorry you didn't get Bubba but glad that he hopefully found a wonderful bunny home. Imbrium gave some wonderful advice & hopefully it may lead you to your future bun. Hope you soon find that bunny match soon.

Congratulations again! Linus is so adorable! Glad you were able to find a little bunny love to bring home!

Sorry you didn't get your first choice but your little guy is pretty cute, love those ears. Great advice everyone's already provided. Hope he settles in and more pics and news please :)

Latest posts

Back