first aid kit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MATH

Reaction score
I hope this is the right spot for this topic. I found a list of items (most I already have), however, I would like to put together a concise kit that is close at hand so I don't have to search for things. This is the list I found:
  • triple antibiotic ointment or silver sulfadiazene cream 1% (available by prescription),81 mg chewable children's aspirin,saline solution, mineral oil or hairball remedy (Laxatone, etc.),hydrogen peroxide,KY jelly,styptic powder (Quick-Stop),cotton swabs,2 inch self adhesive stretch bandage (Vetwrap),2 inch roll gauze (Kling),gauze squares (nonstick and regular),strong light, unbreakable digital thermometer,tweezers,blunt end scissors, cool pack, heating pad, towels,6 cc dosing (long tip), syringes, Benebac, vegetable baby food, canned pumpkin,1 cc and 3 cc syringes, stethoscope, Bunny Health in the 21st Century
Is there anything I should add? take away?
Also I am confused about "81 mg chewable children's aspirin". Does it mean legit aspirin? or something like Tylenol? When would I use it?

I would eliminate the aspirin. Doesn't do very well in a rabbit's gut and is a huge no-no if there is any bleeding. Tylenol should not be used in rabbits. Preferred light to moderate pain med is Metacam (and if your vet will prescribe SSD, there should also be no problem with Metacam). Just make sure you are trained on how (to properly dose) and when (can cause some problems in dehydrated animals) to use Metacam. Eliminate mineral oil (no proper medical use) and Laxotone (or any of the hair ball remedies). These hair ball rememdies are for a carnivore gut....not a herbivore. In a rabbit (or any hind gut fermenter) these products tend to compact and dehydrate any mass in the gut....and that is the exact opposite of what should be done. And finally, eliminate hydrogen peroxide as it tends to cause necrosis in open tissue. And something I would add....that I use a lot.....is artificial tears. I prefer the gel type tears as the gel tends to stay in the eye better. I also have a pinlight (a small and very bright flashlight). And a baby scale is also a nice thing to have in case you have to dose meds.

And I always encourage people to have their vet sell them the supplies necessary to administer sub-q (or with advanced medical people, IV) fluids. They can be a life saver. But, you will need to learn when to give the fluids and in what amounts.....and just as important, when not to give fluids.

And props to you for making sure you are prepared to deal with those emergencies....it's a question of when they will happen, not if. And by being prepared like you are doing, that is a great first step in successfully dealing with any crisis that might arise.

Randy

The most used item in my emergency kit by far is the gas med, simethicone. Pedialyte comes in second.

And lately, injectible penicillin (never used without a vet's blessing, but good to have on hand because otherwise its hard to get).

sas :bunnydance:

Back