Fiona is not eating. Worried!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nobunnynoclue

Reaction score
Fiona has been laying around for the last few days, even hiding out in a plush hide she never uses. This morning I gave them fresh fruit, veggies and grain and she won't touch any of it !!! This is not normal !!

Yes I agree. No personal experience but when talking with my rabbit savvy vet about Agnes's spay he said that the biggest concern is keeping them eating because it is dangerous when their systems stop. I've seen on here where people have injected pumpkin with a syringe.

I hope she is okay but i would get her to a vet!

Good luck! :)

I have an appointment with a vet for 2pm. roughly 2 hours from now. I noticed she had a TON of caked on loose poop on her rear end. So I soaked her butt in water and got all of it off. Now my kids are taking turns holding her in a warm towel until she dries. I've already had to switch out towels once. she is like a shamwow towel she soaks water up so much. She is spunky at least as she tried to get away from me a few times and kicked around but she's still not eating which is not good.

Has her diet changed lately? Is she gassy? It's good to have a vet look her over.

You can also use a hair dryer set to cool to help dry her faster.

:pray:

her diet has changed a little. I have been feeding them more grain and pellets than normal lately. I feed her sweet meadow hay and orchard grass but she doesn't like the meadow hay that much.

I'm wondering if the diet change made her gassy, which can cause pain and them to stop eating. It might have also upset the microbial balance in the gut. The vet will be able to advise better by giving their hands on check. Be sure to tell them about the changes if they don't ask.

alright, thanks for the advice. The vet I'm going to today is the one I wanted to switch to a few weeks back anyway. My previous bunny vet really pissed me off telling me she has E. Cuniculi and then not telling me what the dosage is for the meds even after I have asked and asked. So, thank goodness I have all of her vet records already because I'm just going to hand them to him and see what all he says about the test results and the EC and treatment. she was perfectly healthy despite the EC prior to this week.

Get a probiotic into her along with a type of nurishment that can be absorbed through the stomach wall since she's not eating. This should help hold her over til she recovers. Also in the long run something that would build up the Immune system would help for the future.
I don't what kind of grain your feeding her but it should be aa MINOR part or a treat not a main portion of the diet. Also stress can be induced by other factors in addition to diet change, sometimes as simple as the water being changed due to moving.
Good luck with the vet visit and I hope all turns out well.

Poor Fiona. I wish her & you all the best.

Lisa, the syringe isn't that easy to use, so feeding pumpkin on a leaf is better to try first.

Latest posts

Back