fine except baldness/weepy eye

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tristaw.

Reaction score
I mentioned in another post how BunBun had a bald spot. well now he has two.
the ear that was injured has no fur.

He is hopping around, nosy, busy, he is eating, pooping, peeing, doing the things he does when he is healthy. His breathing is fine.

He was on Baytril which seemed to work like a charm. he got better quickly and stayed better but then I noticed the bald spot on his head and now his ear.

Is it normal after an injury for the hair to fall out and then grow back in?

He doesn't seem one bit sick. His ear is not hot, there is no smell like there was the original time we took him to the vet. However, his eye is weepy today.

I'm about to get a picture and post it, if my camera will agree with me.
I was thinking maybe I should get more antibiotics from the vet since they worked so well the first time. Any advice?

His ear looks very bad here. I don't understand how he could have hair three days ago, thinner hair day before yesterday and no hair on that spot today. Is he doing this himself in the night when I'm sleeping. He is grooming a lot but that isn't abnormal for him. He's always done that. I am not finding anymore fur around the room than normal..

The lighting on the camera makes it look really red.. it is a pink colour in reality.

anyway, what do I do?

13748_061907_440000000.jpg

That is strange. He might have ear mites or some fungal infection of the skin.

Is the weepy eye healed? Did they Baytril help?

When was the last time he was at the vet? I am assuming you had the vet look at the eye and that's how you got the Baytril?

I looked in his ears and they were completely clean.hmmm..and the weepy eye is new. I thought his fur under his eye looked darker yesterday but today when I nuzzled his face I felt a wetness on his cheek.

He was at the vet two weeks ago because he had been scratched by our cat and got extremely sick. He was given Baytril and Metacam. He was one sick bunny.

He recovered so quickly and now this.
he is acting happy enough. I just find it so strange.

That's strange. I would have the vet take a look at it soon, since it is so inexplicable.

I don't know what the eye is all about but baytril would not be the drug of choice for something as serious as a cat scratch ..most rabbits have developed resistance to it (baytril) and infections may subside temporarily only to come back in full force later.

it simply could be an eye infection and the baldness could be a mites which often seem to appear quickly when a bun's immune system is compromised (as it must have been with the past infection.)

I would take your bun back to the vet and see if there is any way to connect the dots ...is there still a residual infection from the cat scratch ???

if so it should be treated with heavier drugs like injectable bicillin and Zithromax, or convenia, chloramphenical etc

Bacteria from cats are deadly creatures...

I think I'm going to have to get another vet. The ones I have for the cat, directed me to the clinic I took BunBun to because when I had called they said they didn't know enough about rabbits so I took their word and took him to the vet they recommended.
He was such a sweet man.
I trusted that he knew his stuff but obviously if Baytril was the wrong med to give, I need to find someone else.
Would I see mites? I know a vet would know but I want to have a look today.
He's doing really well except for the fur loss and today that doesn't look as severe so hopefully will grow back soon.
Thank you for the advice :)

it isn't that baytril is a 'bad " medication and it isn't that another vet would not also give it. Many many vets have prescribed baytril extensively for any and all infections in rabbits thus overusing the drug. Most bacteria in rabbits have become resistant to this drug

Sometimes if the vet is open to suggestions they will try another med

You cannot always see mites , even with a slide under the microscope. if his fur looks better today then possibly it will grow back without treatment.

How is his eye?

You don't necessarily have to change vets if this man is open to suggestions.

it also is possible that the baytril did effectively clear up this infection. .. I don't know ;

The watery eye could be caused by an irritation ( piece of hay) or dust, a bacterial infection, a tooth issue etc.
it just seems odd to me that it appeared in conjunction with the cat scratch.

I second everything angieluv said. I personally would want my vet to give a different antibiotic if my bunny had been bitten by a cat, but I have had success with Baytril treating a URI in Benjamin before.

Latest posts

Back